Strut Bearing - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut Bearing
Monday, December 14, 2015 4:20 PM
I think I goofed, got a deal on 1st gen strut bearing thinking it fit a 2nd gen. Will it still work in my 2nd Gen by redrilling the strut tower?
Thanks, Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Strut Bearing
Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:15 AM
Just curious - what symptoms were you having with a bad strut bearing? Haven't read much regarding any replacements of those, mainly just the struts themselves.

Just my 2 cents worth - but I would want to be putting any extra holes around the tower since that area carries the entire weight of the corner plus the stresses of hard cornering. Since GM offered braces across the towers they must have some flexing going on there.

On a happy note - I have found a complete set (20 pcs) of those lug nut covers for you

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:18 PM
Thanks Orlen, clunking over bumps, noise when turning the wheel sitting stationary, Mine look like originals, the rubber on top ( as seen from the tower) is cracked on both. There is no damping at all on the drivers side as all the fluid leaked out.

New strut is cheaper than the "loaded" one.

The pic of the part looked correct ( Ebay) but the number on the box says its for 1991 and lower. Came in today but didnt pick it up due to to the long Christmas line at the P.O..

Either drill the towers and weld up the old holes or drill the part itself for new bolts.

Pm me for the shipping on the covers to send you some dough.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:52 PM
Has both set of Jbody holes in the part so I'm saved . Monroe # 901913

Doug in P.R.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search