Tune up gone wrong - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tune up gone wrong
Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:32 PM
I've never done this before, I'm an amateur. So I tried replacing the spark plugs on my 2.0 88 cavilier... Spark plug broke off in the hole in three pieces I managed to get everything out except the bottom portion on the threads in the hole... Pics to come, bringing out the tools tomorrow... I really hope I can save her. Any advice other then using an EZ out and pray? I even got someone bringing a boroscope with and magnet to get any pieces out I miss... I just don't want to have to take the motor apart... That would suck.

Re: Tune up gone wrong
Friday, December 30, 2016 11:25 AM
You working with a 4 or v-6?

I am guessing the firewall side v-6.......

A simple and effective penetrating fluid is 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. I use this all the time in an old fashioned trigger type oil can. You'll need to shake the mixture up from time to time as they tend separate and the acetone does evaporate off aver time as well. Soak that plug for a day or so and should aid in removal.

Is the hex fitting for the socket stlll intact or did it get rounded off?

Friday, December 30, 2016 2:54 PM
Heard of a simular problem before on a Nissan pickup , 200k+ mile aluminum head motor with the plugs left in for a long , long time.

I guess they forgot to put antiseize on the last plug change.

Hex part broke off, so the heads had to come off and go to a machine shop to get the threads of the plug out.

Propane torch to heat up the plug and candlewax on it works also...............( wax gets into the threads)

Good luck.....................aluminum and steel+ time = weld........

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, December 31, 2016 3:31 AM
I've used an EZ Out before on an old girlfriends Ford something or other. Her brother broke the plug off flush with the head. The EZ Out worked fine.
This was the only time I'd ever used one though, so not sure if I was just lucky or if they normally always get the broken part out. I would certainly try it before taking the head off.

Good luck and be sure to use antiseize on the new ones. Like Doug said, not using it can be a bad mistake later on. And be sure not to over tighten the new ones.
Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:18 PM
Orlen made the correct suggestion on the acetone and atf.However I like liquid wrench as a side note.I would vacuum off the plug area to ensure NO debris get into the cylinder.With the engine cold and some lubrication it should come out as the ceramic breaking is not uncommon on old plugs!!!!!!! As long as the actual plug thread did not move it should (not) be stripped or require a thread heli coli and thread fix!!!!!! The plug is just stuck and some times lubrication and some heat even from yes even a blow drier can help free it up (IF) you do not you have a heat gun and or propane torch.Just some simple ideas.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search