99 Grand Am aluminum control arms - Page 13 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:24 AM
Hey! Make me a set!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:06 AM
me too...

Pete ***RIP John Lingenfelter***
2002 Flame Yellow Sunfire GT B+M shifted 5 Spd
Just looking for mods and prey

Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:45 AM
Send me some arms and I'll make them up.
On the subject of what ball joints to use, the standard J-body units are what you need if your sticking with the stock spindle.
Ball joints cost from 15 bucks for non greasable units to 20 bucks for basic greasable to as much as 70 bucks for the Moog units.
Once I make some adjustable, heimed tie rods for the car, I'll be switching to the better Moog series for their better quality of product. I'll be working on this soon.
I'm seriously wanting a lighter spindle for the car to keep the unsprung weight down to a minimum too. Research is beginning next week for this to see what's available and some test mules will be fitted to see what's involved for the swap at the local pick and pull junk yard.
All in time I guess.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:32 AM
if i recall the n-body spindles are aluminum....

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:21 AM
That's what I'm looking at but am going to do some experimenting for some fitment issues.
I like the lighter weight of the N body spindles and with the 'blu becoming a track day car, am going to need every but of unsprung weight removed from the suspension where I can lose it.
So I guess I'll be spending a full day out at the yard next week with spindles in mind as well as looking for some control arms.
I'll be doing some reading on all of the NWS swap for some ideas on what I want too.
Thanks Brad and how's that trunk bar coming along??

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:40 AM
z yaaaa wrote:if i recall the n-body spindles are aluminum....

Yup. I'm using 99 N-body control arms w/ Prothane bushings, the stock N-body ball joints (the car only had ~30,000 kms on it, they were in fine shape!), the N-body aluminum spindles, with C-body hubs and brakes. My axles are custom.. equal length Dutchman Motorsports axle shafts w/ C-body ends (inners and outers) for the L67 swap.

My wheels sit out a bit further than stock.. and there's a small bit of negative camber, mostly to match the rear... I'll try to take some pics today.

...j

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:22 AM
Hey Misnblu I have a set of GAGT aluminum a-arms and poly bushings so how much would you charge to modify them for me?
Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:01 AM
Dale, e-mail sent.

Here is an updated page with a set of control arms I'm doing for LAFNGAS.
Ball joints will arrive mid week and I'll have these finished up by next weekend.
One day I'll learn to invest into some power tools instead of doing all this by hand. lol

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:27 AM
nice work

Pete ***RIP John Lingenfelter***
2002 Flame Yellow Sunfire GT B+M shifted 5 Spd
Just looking for mods and prey

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:47 AM
I've got a '99 Grand Am as a winter beater. I took a peek and it has steel arms, not aluminum. Must not be found on all '99s...

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:08 AM
Luke Heier wrote:I've got a '99 Grand Am as a winter beater. I took a peek and it has steel arms, not aluminum. Must not be found on all '99s...

You'rs was probably a transistional model where they didn't get to install the aluminum arms.
The aluminum units for your Grand Am would be a nice upgrade with no modifications needed. Just add some poly bushings and you're done.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:50 AM
Is there any certain year N-Body that has the Al. spindles?
Friday, May 09, 2008 12:09 PM
JAS wrote:Is there any certain year N-Body that has the Al. spindles?

Friday, May 09, 2008 1:02 PM
^^^ nope, not just the 99. the one's i noticed were aluminum came off a 2000 alero.

maybe your thinking of the control arms? this guy asked about the aluminum spindles/knuckles...

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Friday, May 09, 2008 1:26 PM
z yaaaa (the riddler) wrote:^^^ nope, not just the 99. the one's i noticed were aluminum came off a 2000 alero.

maybe your thinking of the control arms? this guy asked about the aluminum spindles/knuckles...

The 99's are the only ones with aluminum control arms, not spindles.

All of the 99+ N-bodies have aluminum spindles. The 98 and earlier have the same spindles as our cars. Iron, with built in pad guides and 10" brakes.

Friday, May 09, 2008 7:04 PM
^^^right, thats exactly what i said

Friday, May 09, 2008 7:31 PM
i used grand am ball joints with my control arms.

Friday, May 09, 2008 8:07 PM
I have been reading where people are wanting matching lug patterns all the way around. How bout just doing the brake swap like what is being done with the neon set up for those that don't want to try and tackle the IRS swap.
Friday, May 09, 2008 8:11 PM
was going to edit but don't know how to. So anyway I forgot to mention that all I can see the would need to be done is cut off the mounting plate on the J axle and weld in one for the GA. Maybe I am just thinking too simple?
Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:43 AM
JAS wrote:I have been reading where people are wanting matching lug patterns all the way around. How bout just doing the brake swap like what is being done with the neon set up for those that don't want to try and tackle the IRS swap.

It's not as simple as you make it sound. The bolt pattern for the hubs mounting to the suspension are completely different. You can not just bolt the N-body, or any other hub for that matter, onto our axle. It could be done if you are willing to cut the entire hub mount off and weld a new one on that takes the N-body parts, but when it comes down to that, it's actually simpler and easier to do the IRS swap. It's very close to a bolt in, without major modifications.
JAS wrote:was going to edit but don't know how to...

You have to get a little yellow star next to your name first.

and z yaaaa, I was just clarifying a little more.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:52 AM

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:26 PM
just bringing this back up for anyone that might be looking for it. VERY informative thread. great mod.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:10 PM
wow back from the dead haha
Monday, May 24, 2010 5:23 PM
Me likey
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:06 PM
So who still mods control arms around here? Ive been trying to hunt down a set.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search