Rear axle bushings - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear axle bushings
Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:09 PM
I am in the process of installing a new rear axle on my car. I bought LZM's poly bushings and am trying to figure out how to get the old ones out. Whacking it with a mallet doesn't do anything. I am about to sell my car I am so frustrated. First the emergency brake gave me trouble, than the drums were practically fused on and now this. Hopefully someone who has done the poly bushings can chime in.

Re: Rear axle bushings
Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:11 PM
Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:46 PM
wow, I didn't know that many people had problems with it. I actually was able to replace one by using a torch. I let the oem one burn and the middle collar fell out, then i used a screwdriver and hammer to get the rest out. I may try this again on the other side in the morning.
Friday, January 16, 2009 3:52 AM
darestie wrote:I am in the process of installing a new rear axle on my car. I bought LZM's poly bushings and am trying to figure out how to get the old ones out. Whacking it with a mallet doesn't do anything. I am about to sell my car I am so frustrated. First the emergency brake gave me trouble, than the drums were practically fused on and now this. Hopefully someone who has done the poly bushings can chime in.

so you bought the product for what reason? you didn't even research why the product was made or if anyone else has tried to install it yet?
you'd give up on a car when it was probably some basic error on the owner's part?

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:25 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
darestie wrote:I am in the process of installing a new rear axle on my car. I bought LZM's poly bushings and am trying to figure out how to get the old ones out. Whacking it with a mallet doesn't do anything. I am about to sell my car I am so frustrated. First the emergency brake gave me trouble, than the drums were practically fused on and now this. Hopefully someone who has done the poly bushings can chime in.

so you bought the product for what reason? you didn't even research why the product was made or if anyone else has tried to install it yet?
you'd give up on a car when it was probably some basic error on the owner's part?

Why is sarcasm so hard to understand? No, I'm not selling my car, i'm just frustrated. And, there is no need to research the product, I needed a new rear axle installed on my car and figured since the axle was going to be off anyways, that it couldn't hurt to replace the oem bushing with poly bushing. Why would I waste my time looking up something that is common knowledge, I already know that Polyurethane is much stiffer than rubber, and I know the benefits of using it. What business is it of yours why I bought it?
Friday, January 16, 2009 10:50 AM
darestie wrote:
s1lver_N1p wrote:

Why is sarcasm so hard to understand? No, I'm not selling my car, i'm just frustrated. And, there is no need to research the product, I needed a new rear axle installed on my car and figured since the axle was going to be off anyways, that it couldn't hurt to replace the oem bushing with poly bushing. Why would I waste my time looking up something that is common knowledge, I already know that Polyurethane is much stiffer than rubber, and I know the benefits of using it. What business is it of yours why I bought it?

bc the real bushings just game. out.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:40 PM
It was frustrating yes, but the end results are always worth the trouble for going out and just doing it.
And yeah, I've had my car up on jackstands now for over 4 months and probably won't have it back on the tarmac for another 3 months.
Since I didn't have a torch to burn out the bushings, I tried drilling out the rubber but that was extremely difficult proposition so I nipped that before I got wore out with it.
Pressing out the center section, which I had to buy an actual shop press (I needed one anyway for future use ) to do this, wasn't that bad. Once that was done, the pictures explain the rest.
Yeah, it's a silly way of doing things but I always seem to get through with things doing it the hard way.

Anyway, good luck with it and if you get your car up and running before I do, post up a review of the bushings. I'm looking forward to the review along with a drive in my own vehicle when it's done.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:57 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
darestie wrote:
s1lver_N1p wrote:

bc the real bushings just came out.

wow spellin.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:55 AM
Misnblu wrote:It was frustrating yes, but the end results are always worth the trouble for going out and just doing it.
And yeah, I've had my car up on jackstands now for over 4 months and probably won't have it back on the tarmac for another 3 months.
Since I didn't have a torch to burn out the bushings, I tried drilling out the rubber but that was extremely difficult proposition so I nipped that before I got wore out with it.
Pressing out the center section, which I had to buy an actual shop press (I needed one anyway for future use ) to do this, wasn't that bad. Once that was done, the pictures explain the rest.
Yeah, it's a silly way of doing things but I always seem to get through with things doing it the hard way.

Anyway, good luck with it and if you get your car up and running before I do, post up a review of the bushings. I'm looking forward to the review along with a drive in my own vehicle when it's done.

I ended up taking it to a local shop. Me and the mechanic spent a good two hours knocking out the bushing with an air hammer. It was hard work but was all worth it when the oem came flying out. One of the oem bushings I was able to melt out with the torch.

The problem is, after I removed the inside metal piece and the actual rubber, I didn't realize that there was also a metal sleeve that sat in the axle. I was in a rush and ended up forcing one of the new poly mounts into the sleeve which caused it to fall apart.

Everything is fixed now and one poly bushing is installed. I'm waiting for Level Zero Motorsports to send me a replacement, but it's been almost two weeks, they have taken my money, and I have not heard anything from them despite my emails. I'm starting to get a little worried.
Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:35 PM
I spoke too soon. i just spoke with Clayton over at Level Zero, they just shipped a replacement free of charge by overnight shipping. Despite taking some time, they provided exceptional customer service and helped to solve my problem to the best of their ability. Excellent company, will be glad to give them my business again.

I will try to get a good review of the bushings within the next week.
Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:09 PM
Please do.
I'd like to hear a review on this since it's going to be another three months before I get back from Cali and have the opportunity to reinstall the axle.
Glad you got it going.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:03 PM
I've been driving with the bushings for some time now. There has definitely been a reduction in side to side movements when taking on dips and bumps. There is also a noticeable difference in feel, you can predict the rear end a little bit better. The only complaint is that they are noisy. It could be an error on my part, I did however use grease, but on my car they make creaking noises every time the axle makes up and down movements. It's really not that big of a problem, and honestly It may be the fact that I torqued the axle bolts very tight.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:35 PM
darestie wrote:I've been driving with the bushings for some time now. There has definitely been a reduction in side to side movements when taking on dips and bumps. There is also a noticeable difference in feel, you can predict the rear end a little bit better. The only complaint is that they are noisy. It could be an error on my part, I did however use grease, but on my car they make creaking noises every time the axle makes up and down movements. It's really not that big of a problem, and honestly It may be the fact that I torqued the axle bolts very tight.

When did you put those on your car?
I never knew that you had those or would even put them on your ride.
Nice.
Thanks for the review.
I'll have mine on when I get back from Cali.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:21 PM
I have been meaning to replace my old axle for quite some time now; the old one was bent in a minor accident. I picked up a rear axle off of an 01 cavalier that was in pretty good shape. Since I was doing an axle swap anyways, I decided to go ahead and replace the oem bushings with the poly ones. It's been finished for about a week now.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:19 PM
So how did you take out the old bushings or did you have a shop remove them?
Just curious to know and I'm sure that others would want to know as well.
Any pics?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:54 PM
I took it to a friends shop and we worked on it there. Basically we pushed out the center sleeve by using a bushing press. It's basically a large C-clamp with a hole in one end, it also has some various attachments that comes with it. After we pushed the center out, we used an air hammer for the rubber and the outer sleeve. Put the hammers chisel right in between the outer sleeve and the trailing arm and hit away. Eventually the outer sleeve began to bend inwards and finally popped out with the rubber attached. It took us about an hour and a half. By myself I spent four hours with only hand tools and got no where. Its definitely one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, and my friend agreed. Overall its a great mod, but the skills and tools required for removing the oem bushings, makes it a mod only for more skilled do-it-yourselfers. James, I don't have any pics. The pictures you posted for the bushing earlier will work as well. The only difference was where you used a hammer and screwdriver, I used an air hammer.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:02 PM
Wow man, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had a problem with the bushings.
Good to hear man and glad you got it going.
And I hear you on the using the hand tools and not getting anywhere. I didn't want to give up because I never let something like that beat me.
I succeeded and by the looks of it, so did you.
But the review is inspiring so I can't wait to get it up on the 'blu and enjoy the improved ride.
This should also be a great addition for anyone that wants to do autocrossing. With the improved rear, it should do wonders for more control and turn in.
Thanks Darestie.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, February 05, 2009 3:45 AM
neither of you tried this?

Thursday, February 05, 2009 4:28 AM
That is actually pretty cool how he did that.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:57 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:neither of you tried this?

Haha, that wouldn't work on the trailing arm bushings.
Been there with something similar and all the washers would get destroyed.
With something like the baby bushings in the video, yeah it's easy.
But with something like the control arm bushings and trailing arm bushings, that won't ever work.
Nice idea but a fail with what we're doing.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:23 AM
Misnblu wrote:

Haha, that wouldn't work on the trailing arm bushings.
Been there with something similar and all the washers would get destroyed.
With something like the baby bushings in the video, yeah it's easy.
But with something like the control arm bushings and trailing arm bushings, that won't ever work.
Nice idea but a fail with what we're doing.

ah damn. that's what i was goin to attempt.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:18 PM

that's disappointing he didn't bash his hand like i was hoping. . . .

Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:48 PM
thought i'd bring this back from the dead... just installed mine today.

i agree with one of the most PITA installs i've done on a car.

it took me awhile but i was able to get them out using a ball joint removal tool i rented from Advance autoparts with the aid of a heat gun to remove the center metal bushing. Then i used a sawzall to cut through the rubber down and through the metal sleeve. (if you try this, be careful not to cut to far) you'll know when you've made it all the way through the sleeve as the sawzall will literally pop the sleeve out (it did for me anyways)

as for a review... it's pretty amazing how much of a difference these make. in conjunction with the other suspension mods i have, the rear end stays PLANTED. I can't wait to autox with these!!!

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:17 PM
Nice review Spence.
I've had mine installed but haven't driven the car yet since I'm in the completions stage of finishing up the Neon rear disc swap.
Once that is done, it'll still be some time for me to get the car back on the tarmac since I've got so much more to do.
But that's the kind of review I love to hear and can't wait to drive the 'blu with all the new hardware.
Any squeaking associated with the bushings and what kind of grease did you use to lubricate them?
Last, what lb. ft. did you torque your axle to once you got it all installed?
Just curious man as I'm doing some comparisons.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:31 AM
no squeaks whatsoever... i used a LIBERAL amount of white lithium grease on the bushings and the torsion beam.

I ran the bolts on with an impact gun... just made sure to snug them down pretty good as I did not have torque specs. I'll also check them periodically for piece of mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search