Rear trailing arm bushing Club Jeffie FEELER. - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear trailing arm bushing FEELER.
Monday, October 11, 2010 11:17 AM
or me?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:03 AM
I'm really not that fond of a delrin product for this application.
I've used delrin in paintball equipment and it wears fast.
Yeah, it's slick, more so than nylon but using it in this application?
I'd need more information or some test time for this application for me to go ahead with a purchase.
With the weight bearing of the rear axle as it is I'd say the wear would be phenomenal which would then make it worse than factory worn bushings because of the play.

Please tell me I'm wrong about this but my experience with paintball equipment (delrin bolts if anyone want' to know) says it wears quickly.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:13 AM
Misnblu wrote:I'm really not that fond of a delrin product for this application.
I'd need more information or some test time for this application for me to go ahead with a purchase.
With the weight bearing of the rear axle as it is I'd say the wear would be phenomenal which would then make it worse than factory worn bushings because of the play.

Please tell me I'm wrong about this but my experience with paintball equipment (delrin bolts if anyone want' to know) says it wears quickly.

anytime i've used or seen it used, it doesn't seem to show signs of accelerated wear. although i don't know how poly bushings would be, since i have yet to install poly bushings in my car except for endlinks. i agree that testing is needed.....and i will be very willing!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:08 PM
Misnblu wrote:I'm really not that fond of a delrin product for this application.

It could be the oil or grease used in that application. I know that you have to use a certain type of grease with delrin. If you dont you can actually cause the delrin to swell and bind. Delrin is much stronger than poly and a much better material to use because it will not attract water like nylon or poly. Also it looks like jeffie used SS sleeves in this application, a much better product than a DOM steel. This will insure that the bolt or the sleeve will not get corroded and jam like a steel sleeve would.

Just my .02. What do I know though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:29 AM

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:46 PM
I agree with Mark...Delrin is definitely stronger and can withstand the load they'll take in this application, IF, like stated, the proper grease is used with them. I for one, am excited to get my bushings and put them through some abusive testing

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:22 AM
Well with all hell breaking loose in my life right now I will only be having 1 tester.

This person is already selected and will be getting the prototypes shortly.

After they get their shake downs I'll finalize design and get a GP going.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:44 AM
Sounds good Jeffie. Ill be patiently awaiting updates.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:11 PM
Interested, pending the testing
Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:22 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Well with all hell breaking loose in my life right now I will only be having 1 tester.

This person is already selected and will be getting the prototypes shortly.

After they get their shake downs I'll finalize design and get a GP going.

hurry jeffie! my rear bushings are shot! need some new ones badly!
Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:58 AM
Wish I had a set of these for the IRS swap. What are the chances? I know the dimensions are very similar.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:59 PM
just wanted to throw this out there...

i'm not sure delrin is up to the task for the flanges on these bushings. i climbed under my sedan tonight after i noticed a clunking coming from the rear of the car and have found the flanges on the lzm bushings that are installed on my car are basically non-existant allowing the torsion beam to have a lot of side to side play. granted the lzm bushings are a poly material, i still don't think that anything shy of metal will be up to the task.

i'll try to get a picture posted asap of what i'm talking about...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:56 PM
So Spence, you're saying the bushings aren't holding up?
That would be bad news for any of us that did the swap with the new poly bushings.
Say it isn't so.

Of course I know that you drive the hell out of your car so that could mean you're really putting a load on the bushings but that still shouldn't mean that they should wear out that quick.
Keep us up to date on this Spence.
I guess I'll have to check mine out soon enough when I do a complete check/ inspection of the car before dyno day.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:58 AM
that's what i'm saying james... it's disappointing because they do make such a big difference. (before the sholder was torn off)

i'll try to get some pics tonight to show ya what I mean.

i'd say they have maybe 1000 miles on them though (4 autox's in there)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:22 PM
stock has a steel exterior piece that has got to help with the 'crush' part of it.

god that is horrible news... maybe we could machine them down a bit and throw a nice stiff washer or something in there to fix?

Underdog Racing
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:29 PM
I am really thinking that brass, or some other metal would be best for these.

Does anyone know the hardness of the LZM bushings? Maybe there is a poly that is harder then what they are made out of that would still work.

Teflon and Delrin are good choice, as they kinda "self-lube", but i think they might wear to easily. I know we use a lot of brass at my work for bushings. Aerospace stuff

Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:45 PM
i'd be if for a set, dub guys use derlin for motor and trans mounts... i havent had any problems with mine on my mk3 jetta (about 5k miles) engine/trans mounts. derlin is a great material from the experience i've had

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:10 PM
forces on the suspension bushings though are alot different than those acting on motor mounts.

as promised.... cell phone pic of the driver side bushing.

you can see where the flanges are chewed up and the torsion beam is not centered due to this.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:29 PM
Am I correct in assuming from these posts that there are no more poly mounts to be found??? Either way, I am in desperate need of new bushings...
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:46 PM
Anyone?
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:49 PM
Metalball wrote:Am I correct in assuming from these posts that there are no more poly mounts to be found??? Either way, I am in desperate need of new bushings...

LZM made the only poly bushings I am aware of, and even though their website is still up, from what I've heard, they don't send people their orders anymore.
TTR was going to make some, but I'm thinking there wasn't enough interest in paying the required cost by members for TTR to bother.

Hey Strat, how long did you have those bushings in? They look like ****!
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:20 PM
RSM sold RTA bushing back in the day. I helped Dauber install a set in JJ's car. I still cant get the smell of burning rubber out of my head! (just reading the title to this thread brought the smell back!) I dont know how well they lasted, just that RSM sold them.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:48 PM
Richard K wrote:
Metalball wrote:
Hey Strat, how long did you have those bushings in? They look like ****!

maybe 1500 miles... 4 days of autox and a trip to ohio and back. car was in the reassemble process for most of the summer.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:34 PM
dear god this sucks. now i have two sets of bushings that are basically junk.

there has got to be a way to put some kind of hard spacer or something similar to what GM did between the ends of the bushings and the body.

or hell... why not just do them up in solid steel and call it a day?

Underdog Racing
Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:16 PM
What is really needed is something that uses a rod end bearing, inside the tube where the bushing would go.

Something like this:

THAT is something I would buy.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com
Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:50 PM
How hard would something like that be to install? Would you be able to just keep it in the freezer, torch the trailing arm, and slip it in?
I like the idea of something that solid.... if it'll last/not be noisy as heck.
Also what part of that is pivoting? The inner sleeve pivots inside the outer sleeve? *scratches head...*
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search