Rear trailing arm bushing Club Jeffie FEELER. - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear trailing arm bushing FEELER.
Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:09 PM
You would install them like you said probably. Or just use a press etc.

The spherical bearing presses into the outer housing thats pressed into the beam. The C clip holds it in place.

The shoulder of the smaller spacers go inside the bearing (half way) and then the long beam bolt goes through the whole thing, both small spacers and the bearing.

Its pretty simple really.

This setup is great as it has no flex, but allows for very free movement of the beam, both vertically and in twist.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:47 PM
Whats the service life on something like that? I mean I DD my car. I dont really want to have to drop my twist beam every year to service the bearings.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:56 PM
on a DD this would be a min yearly service, probably more frequent

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:05 PM
I cant see exposed bearings liking salt and dirt and such that I put my car through. I guess thats something for people to consider.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:15 PM
juicedz4 wrote:on a DD this would be a min yearly service, probably more frequent
Dan

Eek.... there goes all my enthusiasm on those.....
Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:36 PM
Bearings are cheap and they probably only take an hour or so to swap. Still def not something youd want to put on a DD.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:42 PM
Yeah, they'd be a great idea if there were some way to have bearings that were sealed.
I know they make them because when I was doing the BMX thing years ago, my Redline bike had all the bearings replaced with sealed units which never gave me problems especially the crank bearings.
I couldn't tell you how many times I'd go through mod or wash the bike without worry with them getting ruined.
I still like Spence's idea of the impregnated brass washers that would fit on the existing poly bushings with some modifications to make it work.
This way the poly would go unmolested while the brass washers do their job plus they'd be easy to change out every year or so or as needed.
Anyway, I'm still crossing my fingers for something to come about with this problem that seems to be rearing it's ugly head.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:50 PM
There arent really any sealed spherical bearings. You can get them self lubricating and teflon lined, but to try and keep dirt out you need to use a sealing washer, which doesnt really seal that great. Its more of a dust shield.

Id post a link of the seals, but I cant find it right now. I have some I used on my tie rod ends.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:39 PM
Well my testers will be getting their sets next week, once they put them through their paces it will be time to finalize them and get a GP going

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:44 PM
Jeffie, please have some of the testers have an autocross or two.
I think that's the best way to test these since all the load being placed on this area will be tremendous as seen with Spence.
Thanks man.
Keep us informed.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:56 PM
One of the testers is actually Spence

I wanted to cover all bases with testing these, a basically stock DD. A slightly modded dd/occasional track day attendee, and then Spence for the balls out testing.

I don't want to release something that isn't 110%, I wont let you guys or myself down by offering something I don't fully believe in.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:59 PM
That's the way it should be done and we thank you.
Knowing Spence for as long as I have, I'm sure he'll put them through the ringer.
Thanks Jeffie and we all await the response of the testing stage.
Btw, full documentation of the bushings with photos would be nice for us to visually see what's happening with the setup.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:34 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:I don't want to release something that isn't 110%, I wont let you guys or myself down by offering something I don't fully believe in.
Sounds good. Hoping the delrin works out.
Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:42 PM
I have faith in Jeffie

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:09 PM
i promise to abuse my set to the best of my ability.

Monday, November 01, 2010 7:36 PM
bushings came in today... hoping to install thurs and beat on friday!

Monday, November 01, 2010 8:50 PM
nice! pics?
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 10:14 AM
didn't have my phone or camera with me yesterday. (although they look exactly like the ones in the pics jeffie posted at the beginning of the thread.

i'll be sure to get some when I install.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:13 AM
when you install, are you removing the axle? it would seem that if you use a hydraulic jack and lower the axle once removing the two bolts that it could be lowered enough to remove the bushings...

anyone else agree/disagree?
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:46 PM
god dave... its only been 6 years since i did that LOL (let me try and remember....)

iirc you CAN push the axle down far enough to where you could get the bushings out (definitely not stock unless you wanted a huge @!#$ headache)...

Underdog Racing
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:43 PM
z yaaaa wrote:god dave... its only been 6 years since i did that LOL (let me try and remember....)

iirc you CAN push the axle down far enough to where you could get the bushings out (definitely not stock unless you wanted a huge @!#$ headache)...

hahaha, i'll have to try it. thanks brad!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:11 PM
i took the stockers out and installed the lzm bushings by just unbolting the front bolts and letting the struts hold up the torsion beam.

plan on doing the same when I install these.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:13 PM
What's the Rockwell harness of the delrin?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:27 PM
These are made from Delrin and have a Rockwell harness of 89-94.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:20 PM
ok... here we go...

lzm carnage

what this carnage did to my 245

jeffie's prototypes

initial findings are that jeffie's bushings are better fit than the LZM's. After installing them, i've found that the side to side play from the LZM bushings is gone. i can't wait to get out this weekend and put the car through it's paces to see how they work.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search