cutting coils - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cutting coils
Monday, August 29, 2011 8:32 AM
Has anyone every attempted modifying a stock strut by cutting out a coil?
Looking to lower my '99 sunflower.
Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Re: cutting coils
Monday, August 29, 2011 8:40 AM
If you cant search you are as dumb as your post..this has be covered a million times,Over And Over.

Get money and buy a set of drop springs,Use a set of Tokico HP Struts,Tokico Dspec struts,Or Koni Yellows.
New front strut mounts and get a wheel alignment.

This is the only proper way to do the job,If you don't like this answer then,Go cut a coil drop your car on stock struts and endanger your life and others around you.
Re: cutting coils, dumb idea, not safe!
Monday, August 29, 2011 8:40 AM
Yes people have cut coils on cars for a long time. It is also a VERY VERY dumb thing to do.

Buy lowering springs and struts that are capable of handing the drop.

Cheapest, GOOD, setup is Eibach pro-kit springs on KYB AGX struts.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 29, 2011 8:57 AM
thanks.
Monday, August 29, 2011 1:08 PM
Cut teh coilz then this:

-I drive my car to work-
Monday, August 29, 2011 3:16 PM
yeah be patient..if you're trying to save money, but cant stand the stock ride height like me, I found some used Tein S springs with KYB AGX shocks all for $100! I'm planning on putting the Eibach Sportlines on though, because I want the rears down lower (I think i only got a 1.5" onall fours, I want 1.5" F and 1.7" R at least). Should still be okay on the AGX's as long as Im not too abusive..but i would never cut springs..they're precisely designed for a specific weight/support. you cut em, you alter the ENTIRE physics of how the car responds and the safety is ou the window.

be patient, find a good used set and they'll already be broken in

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, August 29, 2011 4:54 PM
blu04DD wrote:yeah be patient..if you're trying to save money, but cant stand the stock ride height like me, I found some used Tein S springs with KYB AGX shocks all for $100! I'm planning on putting the Eibach Sportlines on though, because I want the rears down lower (I think i only got a 1.5" onall fours, I want 1.5" F and 1.7" R at least). Should still be okay on the AGX's as long as Im not too abusive..but i would never cut springs..they're precisely designed for a specific weight/support. you cut em, you alter the ENTIRE physics of how the car responds and the safety is ou the window.

be patient, find a good used set and they'll already be broken in

But really this.

Used is your friend

-I drive my car to work-
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:50 AM
Mitch where you located? If i end up getting my Sportlines (brand new only $200 ebay), I can sell you my used Tein S's pretty cheap. You would just want to get some shocks, this would save you a lot of $ and just spend it on a good set of shocks instead (like tokico dspecs, i think those are what i want). I found out the Sportlines actually drop 1.7"F/2.3"R, which is perfect

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:24 PM
Someone should post a picture of coachs car after his "top secret" suspension mod.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:29 PM
do it!!!! its so cheap and economic.

a good rule of thumb... the cheaper you go on you're suspension the safer you are on the road.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:16 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:do it!!!! its so cheap and economic.

a good rule of thumb... the cheaper you go on you're suspension the safer you are on the road.

X2 lol

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class

Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:52 AM
You want to know my thoughts?

I think you're a retard for even asking this question...
I have a feeling you're going to go and cut your springs, no matter what people tell you.
You'll probably get into a wreck, because of your now blown shocks...

Do it, cut like 4 coils off and ride that bish slammed.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:31 AM
to bring this thread back to life real quick, what if you just cut off about 1"? I mean i know the ride will be stiff but it shouldn't hurt it like some idiots do by cutting like 3 or 4 coils out right?
Monday, March 19, 2012 9:57 AM
Chris Collins wrote:to bring this thread back to life real quick, what if you just cut off about 1"? I mean i know the ride will be stiff but it shouldn't hurt it like some idiots do by cutting like 3 or 4 coils out right?
wrong.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 19, 2012 10:15 AM
Chris Collins wrote:to bring this thread back to life real quick, what if you just cut off about 1"? I mean i know the ride will be stiff but it shouldn't hurt it like some idiots do by cutting like 3 or 4 coils out right?
Go look at your front springs and report back why it doesn't matter how much you cut off of them.

Monday, March 19, 2012 12:45 PM
I have cut the rear springs on my car before. I had them on AGX struts, I don't care what anyone says, they rode better than the Pro kits springs they replaced, they also sat just fine on the spring perches. The fronts are not cutable because of the shape of them, it would truly be unsafe. Any lowering without the proper struts can cause a wreck and cutting if you just hack at it can also do the same. In the end I have Tein SS coilovers and they ride better than the AGX Prokit combo ever did.

If you want a decent ride then spend more money, its safer and feels better.

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:20 PM
in before the lock lol
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:41 AM
Zs Z wrote:I have cut the rear springs on my car before. I had them on AGX struts, I don't care what anyone says, they rode better than the Pro kits springs they replaced, they also sat just fine on the spring perches.
If the rears are cut at the bottom, and done right, it is OK. This is because the rears are not tapered, and the bottom are not flattened, so a cut coil can properly seat itself.
Zs Z wrote:The fronts are not cutable because of the shape of them, it would truly be unsafe.
Bingo!
Zs Z wrote:Any lowering without the proper struts can cause a wreck and cutting if you just hack at it can also do the same.
This. Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:43 AM

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:38 AM
This is bs. I took my springs out. Spending money on suspension is ignorant

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:12 AM
Zs Z wrote:I have cut the rear springs on my car before. I had them on AGX struts, I don't care what anyone says, they rode better than the Pro kits springs they replaced, they also sat just fine on the spring perches. The fronts are not cutable because of the shape of them, it would truly be unsafe. Any lowering without the proper struts can cause a wreck and cutting if you just hack at it can also do the same. In the end I have Tein SS coilovers and they ride better than the AGX Prokit combo ever did.

If you want a decent ride then spend more money, its safer and feels better.

The idea of cutting springs came about when basically all springs on cars were a straight spring, instead of tapered. If anyone is dead set on it, watch this and at least kill yourself doing it the right way.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:20 AM
Wow, someone should lock this thread.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, April 08, 2012 5:56 PM
Wow, when i get out of jail i'll cut my 4 coils and with the money i save i'll get more hair transplants !
Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:00 AM
i've cut the 4 springs on my car but this is what happened when i put the springs back on :

www.funnybikeshow.com
Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:22 AM
That question will never stop getting asked......

DOPER.
Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:45 PM
You bumped a 6 month old, useless thread that had peaceably died, only to post a ridiculous picture and try to make a joke? I also noticed you were the last person to post in this thread prior to your bump, and even then it was a late bump with a bad joke. Will it ever end?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search