caliper lube? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
caliper lube?
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:18 PM
ok i keep having truble with me front brake caliper slides rusting up ans sticking. i have tried all the caliper lubes but i never looked at the temp range till today the crc synthetic brake and caliper grease has temp range of -30 to 600*f and the permatex green silicone grease dosent even list a temp range wtf. and today i tried the CRC silaramic it has a temp range os -50 to 3000* wtf what am i missing here. it like they are for two different applications.

see ya!

Re: caliper lube?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:07 AM
Never known them to rust unless they sit forever. Should be stainless steel... i just use white grease/assembly lube when i do mine
Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:45 AM
Are you cleaning the slides and the holes where they go into the caliper? If not then you are just lubing a problem...

Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:25 AM
yes i clean them every time and this time these were new autozone calipers i installed last year. this time i had to repaint the calipers anyway i the rubber caliper slide bushings and used a drum sander on my dremel and cleaned the holes till i got all the rust out and wire wheeled the out side cleaned and painted the caliper. when i went to install new rubber i coated the out side of them and slid them in.

see ya!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:52 PM
novaracer wrote:autozone calipers

There's your problem. And I'm not trying to be a dick but I needed a caliper in a pinch once and it was the only place open, so I got one from them. After a little time, it did the same thing, not wanting to slide easy, etc. Then when I installed new pads and I pushed the piston back, it leaked like CRAZY all around the piston boot. They're junk; just like 99% of the parts you can buy there. That caliper barely made it a year on daily, light driving whereas the other factory one continues to live on.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:14 PM
A Bear big brake kit will solve the problem. Free floating calipers FTW!!!!

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:53 PM
i use cop-graf it's the best as far as i am concerned I've used other stuff before and it just don't last long enough

here is a website you can get it from
http://sealfast.thomasnet.com/viewitems/ptfe-tape-and-thread-sealers/rade-copper-and-graphite-based-anti-seize-compound
Friday, July 13, 2012 8:45 PM
I tried anti seize too and yeah it dries out and the slides dont slide anymore.

see ya!

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:52 PM
I use the synthetic permatex caliper lube. Never had an issue.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:01 PM
I have had problems since i first got this thing new. The real problem it the brakes are just too weak for any hard autox or track day duty. They should have up sized them when they went up to 16" wheels

see ya!

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:14 PM
Yep, sounds like you need a big brake kit... I do not think that GM made this car to autocross.... lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search