Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried? - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried?
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:48 AM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]
Bobby Higgins wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:^^^ Bobby, I'm starting to wonder if only a couple of people here are being listened to.

I see people refering to my pictures on here, but noone ask quesitons or directs their concerns to the people who have already designed a working prototype.
I did the STI Wilwood combo.
Front and Rear, so any question can be addressed to me.
Some people on here might remember who I actually am.

Bobby, I've seen your posts above trying to sell your kit, and said dimensions you have.... and the point of the thread is asking for help. I have solidworks 2010, I can work with iges or part models. Its not the fact anyone is ignoring you, its the fact that this is a support thread and if you're willing to support it with info you have.... awesome!!!! Ante up!! I'm not sure how to be more clear when asking for help. Saying you have dimensions is one thing, actually showing them is another, and I'm not going to be that guy who falls to his knees begging for them. Either way, inorder to cut cnc costs, I know how to set up burn profiles and coding, so the 3D models will need to be redone anyway to fit configurations. If you got what is going to be an affordable kit already, part numbers and required dimensions are what we need. If its not something you want to post up.... I think I can speak for everyone that we are ok with that, and we will carry on as we have. I'll let you post what you feel will work for the group or not. some people enjoy the satisfaction of a one off.... I respect that and id never harp on it. I just hope you're not that guy who wants money for what you have done in design, or expect something. I don't know.... I don't know who you are, so I'm not going to judge. You won't be ignored if you post what we need? This thread can be easily tossed if a how to is made.... now that would be amazing!

I'm still planning to bench test, but if anyone can save me the trouble with dimensions... post em up!

x2, nobody is ignoring anyone on here. I just went back and re-read your posts and all i found was you trying to sell your kit or saying you had information on them and thats it. The more info we can get in here on what you did, dimensions, cost, and anything else to go with it will absolutely not be turned away.There is just obviously some criteria that needs to be met for the setup to be worth it on our car.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:26 AM

I know what I forgot. The combination Wilwood caliper uses a radial mount like pictured above. We can either use it in combination with a custom bracket or not at all like Bobby did

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:58 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:I know what I forgot. The combination Wilwood caliper uses a radial mount like pictured above. We can either use it in combination with a custom bracket or not at all like Bobby did
Yes, and Wilwood already makes a mount like that for the combination caliper. The setup I designed uses it, and the backing plate can easily be made with the holes set up for any size rotor.

I'm just going to say this, and leave the thread.

Bobby has made a kit that he's already using. This thread was originally asking about if a kit could be made, or has been made, etc., and I posted that I have designed a kit already using the combination caliper. Bobby posted that he can make the parts for a kit like his as well.

I designed the kit that I did with the intention on selling it. The parts would be a reasonable price, but yes, I would make a little something on them. I don't even have a beam axle on my car any more, but I still have the axle that came out of it, and that's what I use to make prototypes. If you guys just aren't interested in buying a kit, fine, but someone posted in response to the original question that they have what you're looking for they will sell, and you seem to be annoyed that they aren't posting the dimensions and information on how to build it, but you wonder why this has been dropped so many times.

I guess I may have misinterpreted your original post, but it seemed that you were looking for a rear setup, not necessarily looking for a discussion on how to make one.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:39 AM
I just looked for my original post / how-to / walk-thru with partnumber, and it looks as if it was deleted.
What dim's are you looking for.
The biggest thing is lining up the radial dim from the bracket to the ouside of the caliper, and making the holes line up.
Also spacing from the rotor center is crucial to make sure you line up in the center of the caliper.

I can maybe post some pics tonight of my models, and then you can pick my brain about what measurements your looking for.
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:56 AM
No issue here guys. Sorry if there's been any confusion. Like I said in the OP, I've asked if it has been done.... and it has. I've asked if it can be supported..... doesn't look like we are getting anywhere. So that being said, I'll build one because I want to. Then, I guess I'm just that type of car enthusiast... ill post a how to. And even give out whatever is needed to cnc model for free. It's all time and money. I'm not looking to make money, I just want something that is safe, manufacturable, easy to assemble, and access to wear items. Its a project, and I'm a project guy. I enjoy it. I'm not big on holding things close to me... sh!t, I've written over 20pm's on how to do the headlight conversion... if they do it great! I've never shy'd away from helping someone. My car is 12 years old, the platform has faded, and the people who are still around in my opnion are enthusiast's. I was really hoping someone would help me out for a change, but if not... no biggy, I've done everything else on my car (except paint) myself. So it will happen one way or another I hope. I'm not looking to buy a kit from someone, I want to buy fresh, new and to and what works and if it happens, ill support anyone who likes what they see. That's just who I am.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:59 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:I just looked for my original post / how-to / walk-thru with partnumber, and it looks as if it was deleted.
The biggest thing is lining up the radial dim from the bracket to the ouside of the caliper, and making the holes line up.
Also spacing from the rotor center is crucial to make sure you line up in the center of the caliper.

I can maybe post some pics tonight of my models, and then you can pick my brain about what measurements your looking for.

Bobby, now that's the kind of post we were looking for... you are the f'n man. I plan to buy parts after I get some confidence in the part selection. Then once I get the beam assembly from the wreckers, ill work though some dimensions with you. Is that cool?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:11 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:I just looked for my original post / how-to / walk-thru with partnumber, and it looks as if it was deleted.

perfect answer! I like this response big time.

I agree with Matt, if anyone wants to know anything about my car or how something was done, ill be the first to hand out the information I have. He hit the nail on the head when he said its a faded platform and anything new anyone can bring to the table will help everyone in general. Especially something like brakes.

In this area I want something that I am guaranteed to hold my car. I know there is no such thing but I cant leave my car in gear due to the turbo timer so it HAS to sit on the parking brake. Ill be nervous as hell when that time comes to park it and leave it not knowing if it will be where I left it when I go to find it.

Bobby, pretty sure I have dealt with you on some things before and you were more than helpful then. I appreciate you coming in here to help out on this once again.

Matt, Looks like he has the bracket specs and what not we need unless you want to deviate from it more or less. Not sure if it could use some tweaking or not depending how long ago his kit was designed or if any improvements or changes needed to be made since running the kit or having it on for a while.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:47 AM
Also, if your not stuck on the Wilwoods .....

I was designing a rear setup involving the subaru rotor with a mustang gt caliper.
These would all be off the shelf components, besides the mounting bracket.

Just a thought
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:53 AM
I do remember.

I for one am stuck on the Wilwoods because I would like my front and rears to match. Otherwise we could track down an SSBC kit like Darkstars had and have SSBC rear and Wilwood fronts.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:28 PM
Also the use of extended ARP wheel studs can increase the caliper to rim clearance with the appropriate wheel spacer.

I have the extended studs on my hubs front and back.
I have always relied on lug centric mounting, not hub centric, and I have never had a problem.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:06 AM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]No issue here guys. Sorry if there's been any confusion. Like I said in the OP, I've asked if it has been done.... and it has. I've asked if it can be supported..... doesn't look like we are getting anywhere. So that being said, I'll build one because I want to. Then, I guess I'm just that type of car enthusiast... ill post a how to. And even give out whatever is needed to cnc model for free. It's all time and money. I'm not looking to make money, I just want something that is safe, manufacturable, easy to assemble, and access to wear items. Its a project, and I'm a project guy. I enjoy it. I'm not big on holding things close to me... sh!t, I've written over 20pm's on how to do the headlight conversion... if they do it great! I've never shy'd away from helping someone. My car is 12 years old, the platform has faded, and the people who are still around in my opnion are enthusiast's. I was really hoping someone would help me out for a change, but if not... no biggy, I've done everything else on my car (except paint) myself. So it will happen one way or another I hope. I'm not looking to buy a kit from someone, I want to buy fresh, new and to and what works and if it happens, ill support anyone who likes what they see. That's just who I am.
No hard feelings, bud. PM'd

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:17 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A163-1/

It's not Wilwoood but I found this, don't know how available they are though
Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:19 AM
Clemente Gallo wrote:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A163-1/

It's not Wilwoood but I found this, don't know how available they are though

The thing is, most of us want to match Wilwood fronts. Good find though.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:15 AM
So almost 2 weeks and no part numbers from bobby.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:06 AM
Sorry I have been really busy, school is starting, just bought a new camper, and going out tonight to buy a new boat.
Life come before JBODY, sorry, I will try to get a hold of my information again.
Its on my home computer, and when I usually post on here, Im at work.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:16 PM
That would be cool

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:53 PM
Im telling you guys, you could research a bit, come up with the amount of backspacing needed for the drum/rotor to line up right in the caliper, then buy one of the off the shelfs kits, and have one or two things machined, and have a kit already.

I have proven that the drum style will work, and will work fine with 95-99 parking brake cables. no other modes needed once machining is done, except maybe a centering ring made for the drum.

Here are 2 pics of a OFF THE SHELF SETUP (minus the drum) modded to for jbodies. This is MY setup. The hub shape and the centering ring and the lug pattern are the only things modded to make this work. I am willing to bet that if 5 or more people got involved, Wilwood would even custom drill the drums and stuff...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:56 PM

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:04 AM
any updates from this ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:57 PM
I've been picking away at this project for a couple of months now. I've been away from home for 2 months, but have been planning while I haven't been at the car. The car is now in storage, so now I get to get my hands dirty.

I picked up a rear corvette with Baer rotor combination, and installed on the car. Using this for measurement and reference.

The rear bracket is pretty simple, and works. I'm not a fan of the washers for spacing though. The E-brake doesn't work on this kit, but I do plan to work something out.

I also picked up a front Wilwood kit, and installed. I plan to wirebrush these clean.

I have the RSM kit rear bracket template. That I will be using to model the prototype fit up.

For verification sake, I now have a Rear corvette disc to verify hat and offset

When installed, it fits concentric very nice, but the offset is shallow for this bracket mount style

The Reason for this verification is so I know where to start with part numbers from Wilwood

The bracket is unfortunately seized, so I'm working on disassembly at the moment, that way I can model the rear set up, so I can determine proper hat and rotor combinations and bracket to hold the caliper.

Anyway, I do have a "off car" rear trailing arm that I plan to build the prototype on, and my goal is to have a working "off car" kit by Marchish.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:13 AM
Glad you are still working on it.

I am debating on ordering a Wilwood rear brake kit for a Fiat 500. I would either have to order new hats or redrill the hats for the 5x100, and make a new caliper bracket

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:15 AM

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:50 AM
I have a full corvette rear disc conversion sitting in my garage that I am looking to get rid of, if anyone is interested

Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:54 PM

Well, I got the bearing off, after needing to cut every bolt off. 200ft/lb wouldnt take them off so I said screw it.
Unfortunately, both bearings are now pooched, but after seeing how seized they were, I already made the decision I'll get new ones.

The brackets are seized,

I dont understand why people dont use anti-seize.

Anyway, moving on to the measurement steps and modeling.

Also, starting to pull apart all surrounding components for clean up and paint.

Should be done by next weekendish... then it's part ordering time. !

Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:05 AM
looking really good....look forward to updates

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:26 PM
watching
Friday, December 07, 2012 6:05 AM
Good to see man. Glad you have been plugging away at it as much as you have. I hope I can afford it next year to match it all up to my fronts

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search