weird jerking - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
weird jerking
Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:07 PM
I have a 99 z24.

While moving when i press on the gas the car will jerk left and when i let off it will jerk right.

Control arm bushing and ball joints were replaced about 10k mikes ago. Prothane bushings and raybestos ball joints.
Struts have about 3k miles and mounts and springs the same.

Ttr motor mount, probably 20k miles and prothane transmission bushings have about 1k miles on them.

Just put in jeffies trailing arm bushings, did it before and after install.

Front sway bar end links were replaced when control arms were done. Have new sway bar d bushings plan to change when i swap motors, dont seem to have.much play though.

Addco rear bar doesnt have but maybe 5k miles on it.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is worst case being differential. Unfortunaly the trans was just put in, did a getrag swap about 2 years go. Trans has 69k miles on it.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: weird jerking
Monday, November 19, 2012 2:13 AM
I had the exact thing happen to me in the past. Turns out the bolts on the control arm's became lose and needed to be re torqued. I also had prothane bushings intalled. I'd start there and also check your subframe bolts.

I'd like to add the loose bolts came on my old red cav....worst case senario THIS COULD HAPPEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 19, 2012 2:19 AM

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:09 AM
I did check the bolts when i put the trans mounts in. Only 2 i didnt check are the ones bkocked by the lower dog bone mount and the brace running to the core support.

Guess i need to pull them out and check them.

Thankfully the jerking isnt bad, its not like it is to the point it will cause me to loose control, yet.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully i dont run into any rusty broken bolts. I guess thats one of the benifits of living in az.

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:22 AM
Keep us posted on what you find.

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:24 AM
Will do. Thanks for the info.

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:55 PM
Figured it out. Turned out to be passanger side horizontal bushing bolt was loose. Not finger loose, it maybe turned one bolt face. Took it for a spin on the freeway and all seems to be good.

Thanks for the help!

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:01 PM
Cool

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:43 AM
Was I the only one who read the title before opening this thread and wondered why it wasn't in AG?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:13 AM
No, but I figured it was safe since I reconized the user name.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:52 AM
I figured the odd title would draw some attention. I do have some decent ag stuff though, maybe ill liven it up a little after work.

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:56 PM
Jucnbst, do you have the part number for the horizontal bolt that broke on you? Mine isnt broke but wont stay tight for some reason, im thinking its stretched.

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:46 PM
Found the part number for the bolts, 22656154 typically sold in a set of 5 for about $2 each.

Its the same bolt as the trailing arm mount as well.

Monday, December 03, 2012 9:52 PM
I'll check when I get home. I still have the bag from the dealer when I ordered mine.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:59 PM
I have no idea if you fixed your problems since JBO went down but I had the exact same thing happen to me. The CA bolts have to be torqued with the wheels on the ground. That fixed mine right up.

-I drive my car to work-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search