steering problem - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
steering problem
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:48 AM
my steering is really hard and not quite sure what the problem is. it could be an inner tie rod, power steering pump, or the rack...but not sure how to figure out each one. i replaced a bad inner tie rod a couple weeks ago but didnt solve the problem. i'll replace the other side soon but i dont think that that would make it that hard to steer. its a 2004 cavalier. could it just be the other inner tie rod? cuz if it is thats real cheap and really easy.

Re: steering problem
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:04 AM
Wouldn't you think hard steering would = something with the power steering?
Check fluid, then pump, then rack.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:09 AM
thats what im hoping its not cuz i dont have the spare cash to fix it atm
checked fluid seems fine...how do i check the pump?
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:09 PM
Jack the front end up and see how it turns with both wheels off the ground

Have a nice day.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:15 AM
the wheels turns perfectly fine really easily up on jack stands. so does that mean that the pump is fine? could it be the hex drive on the pump broke? cuz then id have to take it off and look but if it turns fine off the ground and that shows that the pump is fine then i dont wanna waste my time (which atm i dont have much of)
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:42 PM
the part where its off the ground shows that its not any kind of binding in your rack or suspension. i would suspect your pump is bad.. just pull it and check the hex... mine sheared on my 2.4 for no reason last winter.. i knew the pump wasn't pumping especially with no leaks and fluid in it. i'm betting you need a pump though.

Have a nice day.
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:29 AM
Thats what I thought it was at least its only the pump.thats not too much...i know I need to replace my left inner tie rod cuz theres a little play but not enough to make it hard to steer
Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:13 AM
Does it make any strange noise? You haven't really told us what the problem is. "hard" could mean a few different things and throwing parts at it without a good diagnosis isn't going to help.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:00 PM
no noises i'd know what itd be then. im gonna take off the pump to see if theres damage. and the problem is it is hard to turn the wheel
Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:36 AM
Well I think some of these reasons may lead the hard power steering problem.

Power steering failing.
    Low fluids of power steering pump.
    Broken seal of power steering pump.
    under-inflated tires

Rola Roof Racks
Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:43 PM
Ive never had an issue with my steering..yet...(though the cap leaks a little, i think its got too much fluid). But do our cars run a relay or anything for the steering pump?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:58 AM
fluid was only low once and i think it caused it to seize up and damage the hex drive still have to pull it off and check it out just been lazy had to replace my wheel hubs this past weekend and noticed my cv boot is torn so ill be replacing the axle real soon. but just to clearify i check tire pressure and deff not the problem...its not just stiff or a little hard to turn its has no power so i know something failed just hoping its just the pump and not the rack
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search