un modded ca's - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
un modded ca's
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:48 PM
i have a set im looking to install. my question is what are the negative affects of running them un moded. i know it can produce camber but is really enough to be considered dangerous im looking install them on a 03 sedan. id rather be safe then so any input will be appreciated thanks

Re: un modded ca's
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:21 PM
Listening...

iirc someone said it gives you about 1.5 deg unmodded.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:59 PM
I'm running unmodded alum arms, and it threw off my toe really bad. (this is to be expected)

I dialed some of the camber out with my setup, but my pillowballs are still set in the center. I do have quite a bit of negative camber going on, but not sure of the actual measurement (I haven't put my fasttracks on yet to measure)

be sure to adjust your toe accordingly, and worry about the camber later. toe is WAY more important in terms of steering feel, response, and tire wear.
your car will feel MASSIVELY messed up with the wrong toe setting.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:16 PM
^Just a simple alignment will fix that no?
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:20 PM
Philly D wrote:^Just a simple alignment will fix that no?

yup.

just don't think you can throw these on and go for a cruise. You will have to adjust the toe BEFORE driving the car. it's going to be way out of wack.

you can eye-ball it... basically, since the ca's are longer, the tie rods need to be extended on both sides an even amount.

if you leave it, you'll have extreme toe-out, and the car will be extremely darty, unstable, and the tires will probably drag and squeal because they technically won't be pointed straight.

you don't need to do anything special with the tierods, just adjust your toe back to normal and everything will be fine.

you're ok driving in like a neighborhood or something to get the rough settings right until you take it to an alignment shop.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:36 PM
by extended..redrill the holes they mount in, its that simple?
misnblu's approach was to leave the tie rods stock and mod the CA's..i guess its whatever is preferred..obvisouly this method is much simpler of a fix/mod.

pics of adjusted tie rods/locations?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:24 PM
blu04DD wrote:by extended..redrill the holes they mount in, its that simple?
misnblu's approach was to leave the tie rods stock and mod the CA's..i guess its whatever is preferred..obvisouly this method is much simpler of a fix/mod.

To extend the tie rods all you do is screw them out......no drilling or anything. Thats how toe is adjusted.

People mod the control arms to be within stock specs since it will add camber
Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:50 PM
Yea, i forgot about the toe. Mine was WAYYYY out too. I eyeballed it in the garage and then the 1st trip with the car was to the alignment shop.

Philly D wrote:

To extend the tie rods all you do is screw them out......no drilling or anything. Thats how toe is adjusted.

People mod the control arms to be within stock specs since it will add camber

Yep. The "modding" was done so your suspension geometry/settings were not affected.
Toe is adjusted by screwing/unscrewing your outter tie rods.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:52 PM
Im going to run mine un modded since I want a little negative camber1.5-2* shouldnt be bad.
Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:27 PM
I'll be running mine unmodded. When I first got my teins I had a lot of camber on the car and it handled amazingly. I changed the camber when I was fixing a tire noise issue and the war was much less responsive.

Friday, November 23, 2012 12:18 AM

adjust your tie rods... you know... like you're aligning the car...?

loosen jam nut. adjust the tie rod (lefty loosey (aka expand) righty tighty (aka retract)). tighten jam nut.

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:47 AM
yeah I was thinking of something totally different in my mind lol...thats easy enough adjusting them.
so the adjustment of the tie rod fixes the toe issue, then once you've gotten that down you take it in for an alignment and that resolves your camber issue. And now you've got unmodded CA's installed.

Sounds easy enough to me!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, November 23, 2012 8:00 AM
i used them on my car for over 3 years with no alignment done. it was easy to drive. not a danger pit like daflyingsqwirl makes out to be. i used my tein's to get the camber close.

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:28 AM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:i used them on my car for over 3 years with no alignment done. it was easy to drive. not a danger pit like daflyingsqwirl makes out to be. i used my tein's to get the camber close.

So you bolted these on and never aligned your car at all?
Never adjusted your tie rods?

Because i call bs.

You're increasing your width by a half inch on both sides. All I'm saying is you can't just bolt these on and go, you NEED to adjust the tierods back to spec.

Unmodded ca's aren't dangerous at all. I've been running them on my dd for two years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 23, 2012 8:29 AM

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:14 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:i used them on my car for over 3 years with no alignment done. it was easy to drive. not a danger pit like daflyingsqwirl makes out to be. i used my tein's to get the camber close.

So you bolted these on and never aligned your car at all?
Never adjusted your tie rods?

Because i call bs.

You're increasing your width by a half inch on both sides. All I'm saying is you can't just bolt these on and go, you NEED to adjust the tierods back to spec.

Unmodded ca's aren't dangerous at all. I've been running them on my dd for two years.

no i did but its not hard to unscrew them to where they work. i meant i never had it aligned on a rack. from the way i read it you made it sound like unless you have it aligned perfectly its going to kill baby jesus. lol

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:45 PM
Joe (RedCavalac) ran unmodded GA CAs for awhile. He said they made his track wider in the front which I guess should be expected. So if youre running tight on fitment with your wheels its something to keep in mind.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:27 AM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:So if youre running tight on fitment with your wheels its something to keep in mind.

Yep.
My wheels/tires. 18x7.5 35mm offset, 225/40R18s, and no spacers. I am almost flush with my toyo fenders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:28 AM

Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:11 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:So if youre running tight on fitment with your wheels its something to keep in mind.

Yep.
My wheels/tires. 18x7.5 35mm offset, 225/40R18s, and no spacers. I am almost flush with my toyo fenders.

we still need to throw my fn01rc's on your car to see if they will fit under the fenders...

Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:01 PM
Well i am going to be living alittle closer to you, so bring one over if you get time to stop in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search