hawk HPS pads, stock rotors - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hawk HPS pads, stock rotors
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:19 AM
hey guys, gotta put new pads and rotors on my 04 sunfire. been looking into hawk hps pads as i have read a lot of good reviews. what i want to know is, is it worth my while to run these pads on stock rotors or would it be a waste of money, unless i upgrade the rotors too.

Re: hawk HPS pads, stock rotors
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:40 AM
Run them. They hardly dust and are a great all around pad... cheapest place I have found them is actually Amazon!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:51 AM
Not sure why no one else got dust with stock rotors but My first set of Hawks on stock Wagner rotors, I got really really bad brake dust, I now have Hawk and powerslots and my wheels almost never have brake dust on them.... I can wipe them after a month and they might have a little light dust on them but that might not even be from the brakes, I was a little unsure about the powerslots vs stock rotors cause of the price difference but I am happy I went with the powerslots this time. In the summer with my sticky tires, I can stop pretty quick with them.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:40 PM
I LOVE the Hawk hps pads. I've run them on stock and slotted rotors, great either way. Great all around pad. Around here (Eastern PA) Pep Boys has them for $18.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:53 PM
In Canada, cheapest is $50, most of the places online, they are $50 or over by the time you ship them, but even $50 is pretty decent I think

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:07 PM
Where can you find them for $50, Rick? I'm in the market for a set myself.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:23 PM
I run them on stock rotors. Very little dust and great initial bite.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:26 AM
yeah i've been looking around and the cheapest i can find them shipped to canada is around $85, which really is only 25 more then what i was paying for ceramic pads. thanks for the info guys, i think im gonna try em out.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 11:04 AM
The first set I brought from JBs power center, they now say they are special order and I need to pay $90 shipped. I got my last set from Mopac now, along with my powerslots, they say they normally stock one set. This is in Edmonton, Alberta. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $250 for the powerslots and Hawks. I got my wagner rotors before with my first set of hawks for $25 a rotor and now the parts place wanted $55/rotor for them so I figured a little extra and I can have powerslots.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 11:17 AM
I find a lot of times its cheaper to buy through local performance stores than online here in Canada, even my rear shock bushings were $20+ shipped from ebay, etc.... got a pair for like $6 at mopac. You just have to do some of the work yourself cause a lot of the guys are dumbasses, I usually find part numbers myself and go there, some guys are unwilling to help too. When I was looking for universal shock bushings, I figured I would try a 4 wheel performance place first, since they probably have tons of them for jeeps, trucks, etc. of course told guy the part number and everything then he asked what kind of vehicle it is for, as soon as I said its for a cavalier but the part is a universal aftermarket part so you guys should still carry it, nope that was it, sorry we only deal with offroad parts, we dont sell car parts, tried to explain that i'm sure there's a jeep or truck that has the same size bushing , can you just look it up, nope, sorry we only deal with trucks and jeeps.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 8:36 PM
i was able to find the part number quiet easily, so im gonna call around to a few of the local performance parts places in my area and see if i can get it for a cheaper or similar price. thanks for the help guys, i will let you know what i find out from the local shops.

since we are on the topic is there a particular stock rotor that you guys prefer to use? I've heard the name Wagner used a few times in the past, dont know much about them though.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 10:01 PM
Wagner's worked good, I never noticed a huge differance going from them to Powerslots but with Powerslots, I have no dust. With Wagner's I had lots of dust, others seem to have different results though.... Powerslots were $85 a piece at mopac. Little pricey compared to good quality stock rotors but I think they are worth it.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 10:06 PM
yeah im just gonna stick with stock rotors as its only a dd.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 10:11 PM
I have the Hawk HPS on the generic Summit slotted rotors. No complaints here, just put the 2nd set of both on this summer. Dust build up is minimal between washes.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:09 AM
well after some more diggign around, decided that im not gonna get them. mainly because of the price, stupid importing fees and exchange rate. I thought i was gonna be able to get a set for $75, was gonna come to just over $100 and for what I use the car for, I'd rather spend the extra money on getting the car safety inspected.... so im gonna get some ceramic pads with Wagner rotors. ceramics are $40 cheaper then the cheapest hawk hps pads for me, which will pay for the safety inspection alone.

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:09 AM
You couldn't find anything local? If its just a DD, a good set of ceramics will probably be fine for you. I believe that is what is on my wifes Mazda 3, we bought it with 70000km on it and the brakes were about 90% or so, the car now has almost 140000km and the brakes are about 70-80%, its shocking how long they have lasted. And they do work pretty good, we go to BC almost every year and drive through the mountains. After a lot of heavy braking over several hours, there is some fading but not much, I do use the sport mode and downshift when I'm in the steep mountains though so that helps. My car is a DD but I do drive spirited sometimes so I am very happy with the Hawks/Powerslots. I recommend investing in some caliper "slider" bolts though, ($30-$40), Mine were sticky when I installed my first set of hawks, I just cleaned them up on a lathe and scotch brite pad, they were sliding nice when I put them back on but they got sticky again and I had uneven wear on my pads(outside pad was like 10% and inner was 70 in about 15000km.

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:37 PM
yeah no one around here can get them in..... i called 10-12 different places..... and im putting brand new calipers on as the ones that are on there are factorys and im sure they due to be replaced. i can get them super cheap so im not worried just cleaning up the slider bolts. but thanks for the info though

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:51 PM
Love my Hawk hps pads!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search