My 99 Cavalier has no sway bar - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 99 Cavalier has no sway bar
Monday, November 29, 2010 9:53 PM
Like i said in the title I guess my cavalier rs is one of the few with no front sway bar at all. In the interest of saving a little cash i want to put a sway bar from the local junkyard. From reading some of the forums on this site I understand that the stock front bars are all interchangeable. what i want to know is are they interchangeable, what do i need to pull off the junkyard car, i want to get urethane bushings and all that so which ones should i get, will i be able to easily mount it to my car? I'm new to this site but I know my way around a vehicle so lay it on me, anything and everything will be useful.

Re: My 99 Cavalier has no sway bar
Monday, November 29, 2010 10:11 PM
another question. If all of the parts are interchangeable can i pull the endlinks and sway bar mounts yada yada off say an 03+ and put it all on my 99? or are they saying the bar from an 03+ is interchangeable and the rest of the stuff should be off another 99?

BeeFinn56
Monday, November 29, 2010 10:58 PM
Quote:

I understand that the stock front bars are all interchangeable. what i want to know is are they interchangeable

you answered everything in that sentence , if you understand it then why ask it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:04 AM
All stock front bars are interchangeable.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:14 AM
just trying to fully understand everything before i waste money on an experiment because ive done that before. im looking for second opinions and suggestions which you gave me none of. ever hear the phrase "think before you do?" im asking people with experience for advice and i would appreciate it if i could get some. thanks

BeeFinn56
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that if you get all the parts off the same car at the j/y you should be fine. Also I don't think that any J came with the poly bushings, but I don't really know that much about them. I think you would have to order the poly bushings and go that route.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:54 AM
There are a few different sizes... so make sure you get the "clamps/brackets" that hold down the D-bushings from the same car you get the bar. Although they may be the same.... if the outside size is the same and the difference is only the hole for the sway bar in the center.
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:18 AM
i think ill give it a shot thanks guys. ill have to make multiple trips to the junkyard probably but thanks. i know i would see an improvement along with my strut tower bars.

BeeFinn56
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:20 PM
i just recently installed a sway bar in my 99, as it did not have one either.

ouch

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:18 PM
we did that to my friend 99 he was denied as well.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:24 AM
wow... that thing must have been a floating boat driving down the road.

i bet it felt like going from a 60's lincoln to a vette doing that front bar LOL

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:06 AM
i gotta ask, were your tie rod ends totally shot?

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:54 AM
z yaaaa wrote:wow... that thing must have been a floating boat driving down the road.

i bet it felt like going from a 60's lincoln to a vette doing that front bar LOL

freeway ramps were definatly more fun! plus with the addition of the Addco on the rear made for good times!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:56 AM
I have seen a few 99's with out one.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:20 PM
Spitfire wrote:i gotta ask, were your tie rod ends totally shot?

naw i was just there so i changed them....THEY WERE @!#$

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:01 PM
i went down to the junkyard and started pulling a bar of an 04 then realized i had to drop the subframe so with only a half hour of daylight my friend looked around for another cavy and there it was just sitting there perfectly waiting for my taking already off the car. this one was off another 99 so i got the 18mm bar but i got the urethane end links and im waiting till the truck comes in at the parts store for my urethane bushings. all in all im pumped.

BeeFinn56
Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:45 AM
I have a 1998 RS and it also does not have a front sway bar.
Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:44 PM
no bar on my 99 either.
Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:01 PM
Hi, Mine does not have any sway bars either. I own a 2000 Cavalier. I contacted GM Canada and they will be getting back to me early next week. I will let you know what they say about this situation..The only reason I found out it doesn't have any on the car is because I have to get some work done on the front end before my alignment..not much mileage on the car, and was kept clean and never needed any front end parts until just recently.
JM
Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:21 PM
For the cars that don't have the sway bar in the front, does the subframe still have the bolt holes&slots for the D bushing brackets?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:16 PM
Cavalier Zzzz...24 wrote:For the cars that don't have the sway bar in the front, does the subframe still have the bolt holes&slots for the D bushing brackets?

Yes that is correct.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:42 AM
user chemical ... got any tips or tricks for getting that thing in ... i'm having a hell of a time getting it in right

it goes in easy backwards but not the correct way with the end links pointing the way they are supposed to
Monday, August 25, 2014 5:37 AM
You really should just lower the subframe. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.

Ideally, actually dropping the subframe would be the way to do it, but to get away without having to completely disassemble the front end, you can just unbolt it and lower it down a bit on a jack, and you'll have the clearance you need.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search