Poly Control Arm Bushings - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Poly Control Arm Bushings
Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:21 PM
How the heck do you press these into place? The control arm just wants to cut the lip off of the poly bushing. Any suggestions or help would be great?

Thanks
Jay

Re: Poly Control Arm Bushings
Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:45 PM
I haven't installed mine yet but I did some research and I remember reading somewhere that there was a metal ring that was left in the control arm after removing the stock bushing that had to be removed. Cut it with a hacksaw to make sure you don't damage the control arm itself.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:47 PM
I removed the metal ring before i tried to install . . . It isn't supposed to make a difference but these are the aluminum nbody arms
Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:00 AM
http://www.clubcav.com/showthread.php?t=5479 I found this thread about instaling aluminum control arms and poly bushings. Hope it helps.
Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:19 AM
On the aluminum arms you would want to machine a beveled edge onto whatever side you press the bushings in from. A dremel should do the job pretty well. Then grease everything liberally, and it should pop in. I've done so many sets on J's, cobalts, and n-body arms that I can pop them in within a matter of minutes

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:31 AM
Roofy wrote:On the aluminum arms you would want to machine a beveled edge onto whatever side you press the bushings in from. A dremel should do the job pretty well. Then grease everything liberally, and it should pop in. I've done so many sets on J's, cobalts, and n-body arms that I can pop them in within a matter of minutes

the aluminum arms already have one beveled edge, no need for machining. mine just popped right in using my vice.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:45 AM
There is no beveled edge on mine. This makes sense . . . I will give this a try! Thanks Roofy.

Whats up people?
Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:18 AM
I have yet to see a beveled edge on either cobalt or n-body aluminum arms. Good luck.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:09 PM
i just teared a bushing trying to install these! then i sand a beveled edge by hand with 320grid sand paper. and it went in. you need to make it go at an angle, not straight!
so i ordered another set just to replace the one i teared the lip apart!!! cost me 75$ with shipping....

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:18 PM
when i tore mine, i called up prothane and they shipped me replacement bushings for free...

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:24 PM
seriously??? Damn... should of known that! didnt they tell you, you did not install properly, its your falt???

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:59 PM
Hmmmm good call. I have the Energy Suspension ones. Think I will call them in the morning and tell them that the poly bushing just tore as I was trying to press in. As there is no instructions in the box how can they tell you it was installed wrong. One would assume press old bushing out and press new bushing in. Not press old bushings out then make sure there is a beveled edge and then press new bushing in!
Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:40 AM
You know, GM should have beveled that edge for better manufacturability on their end, they would have needed less precision in placing the bearings in the factory. You'ed figure they'd do that since practically all the plastic in the car has slotted holes so its easy to line up with all the different tolerances in the car.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:25 PM
i put my on top of my jack and then jacked the car up till they popped in i didnt have a press or a vise lol

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:10 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:i put my on top of my jack and then jacked the car up till they popped in i didnt have a press or a vise lol

Haha wow! Whatever works I guess!

Monday, October 31, 2011 11:14 AM
Here is a very good write-up Misnblu did on the aluminum control arms from start to finish with lots of pics. There is some helpful info on installing the bushings near the bottom of the page.

Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:39 PM
So seeing this post after I messed up one bushing and not taking that ring out makes me mad. I installed the bushing anyways cuz I need my car for work till I get a new bushing, I'm getting a clunk on the bad side when I hit bumps. Think that's the bushing for sure that's causing that noise? I replaced inner and outer tie rod's swaybar and links ball joints as well.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search