Lift kit? Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, let me explain - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lift kit? Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, let me explain
Monday, May 12, 2014 6:08 PM
As some of you may know, My cav is in the shop getting a 3.8 from a grand prix, (not it's not supercharged and it's probably staying that way) this means a lot more weight. I have quite a heavy sub box in the back along with other stuff, when the subs are out it's usually because other heavy stuff is in. the spare tire pan will be dropped to accommodate a full spare and I will be flush mounting the batteries in the trunk. Also the engine isn't the only goodie going in the front adding weight, it's a surprise and I will have pics when it is done. This will be the car we use for short family trips so I will be making some luggage racks once all my batteries are charged again and I can borrow some bolt cutters for the bar stock. I will also be adding a tow bar at some point. Hopefully now that I have explained the weight issues we can keep the rib cracking to a minimum.

I need ride height and/or strength preferably both. I understand that spacers on top of the struts might work for a couple inches?
Would the grand prix shocks/struts fit with some relatively minor modification?
Would I be better off swapping the grand prix spindles as well if I swap the shocks/struts?
Could the pockets be cut out and lowered?

Adjustable ride height would be cool, one day I hope to have bags.

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."

Re: Lift kit? Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, let me explain
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:32 AM
Look in the thread "what's needed to lift my car". There's plenty of discussion in there, and you will see that no one has actually tried any other vehicle's springs, so you will have to check that out on your own. If you have success, please add to that thread.

No need for another lift thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:53 AM
You can look on my thread too I'm planning to give my car a 1-1.5 inch lift there's a good discussion or the options there as well
This thread

The summary from that thread are that you can try to get lumina springs which in theory should net a 1 inch lift you can find the info on that in the thread mr quick linked to. They supposedly were used on the cavalier Moab concept, the problem with that though is that if you want a performance suspension setup any aftermarket performance lumina springs lower the car so you're stuck with the stock springs

To get a lift with a performance setup you have to buy coilovers and use a taller spring I got recommended to use 10 inch springs. They will give you good performance and you can adjust the height if you start having issues with the CV joints however you are going to be spending at least $700 for a full setup. there are coilovers from a company called ground control which were cheaper but you have to supply your own shocks like the KYB AGX shocks.

For lift blocks these are pretty good and there cheap
http://zoneoffroad.com/display?search=Lift%20blocks

I think I posted a link in the lifting thread about using these for a $30 lift of you want to go that route.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:59 PM
I had tried using the search but it doesn't work for me, just says searching and a blank white page, never any results. I also figured it was a pretty safe bet that no one had tried to lift a cav after I spent an hour and a half googling it. if an admin will please delete this thread I would be happy to ask on the established ones, thank you. thank you for your answers as well.

@backpacker3, if you could send me that 700$ parts list I would appreciate it. I had allocated 500$ for suspension so coming up with another 200$ shouldn't be an issue.

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:13 PM
You just have to find the coilovers you want I think I priced it with teins but I would recommend finding the exact setup you want as there are plenty of opti

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:15 PM
You just have to find the coilovers you want I think I priced it with teins but I would recommend finding the exact setup you want as there are plenty of options to choose from just find coilovers that fit a j body and get 10 inch springs for them.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:47 PM
how are coil overs different from regular shocks/struts? My understanding of suspension is that there is a gas tube to absorb blows and the spring to carry the load and take little vibrations out.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:52 AM
The term "coilovers" here generally refers to an adjustable coilover setup, in spite of the fact that the term coilover really means a configuration where the spring is around the shock/strut.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:50 AM
skoronesa Mark Smith wrote:I had allocated 500$ for suspension so coming up with another 200$ shouldn't be an issue.

Realistically, since it looks like you aren't doing your own work, you should at least double, and maybe even triple, that allotment.

I think your best route for your plans with the car would be a simple sleeve setup with longer, stiffer springs. No need to get all fancy.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:49 PM
What's a sleeve setup? Would lumina springs work?

Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:57 PM
A sleeve setup is one that is meant to be put on aftermarket shocks like KYB AGXs or something like that it's the spring and the adjustable part or the coilovers. I think it's ground control that makes these they might be your best bet too since there coilover sleeves are custom made so you can get the exact spring height you want.

As far as lumina springs go they might work no one has tried or at least there isn't anything documented about it. But they are supposed to work.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 7:30 PM
Have you ever used Google before?

I try not to come off like a dick but I don't know how else to say it. It really seems like you want someone to give you a list of parts for something that's never been done before. You aren't going to get a list because no one has it. Based on your posts, it also seems like you don't have a full understanding of the systems you want to modify, which may be leading to some of your confusion. I would recommend spending some time looking at how suspension systems work (for and by yourself, instead of having someone try to explain it to you on a forum). Once you understand the basics of operation, the terms used, and what's possible, then feel free to venture down the road of modifications. If you don't want to do any of that homework, bring your car to a shop that does custom work and tell them exactly what you want.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:58 AM
James Cahill wrote:I try not to come off like a dick but I don't know how else to say it. It really seems like you want someone to give you a list of parts for something that's never been done before. You aren't going to get a list because no one has it. Based on your posts, it also seems like you don't have a full understanding of the systems you want to modify, which may be leading to some of your confusion. I would recommend spending some time looking at how suspension systems work (for and by yourself, instead of having someone try to explain it to you on a forum). Once you understand the basics of operation, the terms used, and what's possible, then feel free to venture down the road of modifications. If you don't want to do any of that homework, bring your car to a shop that does custom work and tell them exactly what you want.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 04, 2015 12:39 PM
Hey I have access to a 3.8L grand prix engine. Do you know how much modding had to be done to fit it in? Do you have any pics?
Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:50 AM
Alex thegrt wrote:Hey I have access to a 3.8L grand prix engine. Do you know how much modding had to be done to fit it in? Do you have any pics?
Why would you ask this question in the suspension and brake forum?

Look in the 3rd gen forum. There are two stickies there. One for 3100/3400/3500 engine swaps, and another for 3800 engine swaps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search