Clunking Right Rear Wheel - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clunking Right Rear Wheel
Monday, February 23, 2015 4:08 PM
Hi guys, I have a clunking at the right rear corner of my 2000 Z. Shock is ok so I have been told but the noise remains. Driving me crazy as I have tried and tried to find it but to no avail. It makes the noise when going over bumps and not on even roads. It also seems to be worse in cold weather. Any ideas????
Thanks gang.

P.S.
I pulled the trunk liner back to see as much of the shock mount as I could and noticed a rubber hose running from the underside of the rear window down to the signal light area, what the heck is that for?

Re: Clunking Right Rear Wheel
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:05 AM
Hose is most likely a drain for water runoff. You probably need a new strut mount on that corner.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:13 PM
Might be lower control arm bushings. Could even be a loose exhaust hiting somewhere

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:16 AM
T!M8!T wrote:Might be lower control arm bushings. Could even be a loose exhaust hiting somewhere

There are no control arms in the rear. Jbodies are not equipped with independent rear suspension.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 27, 2015 4:37 PM
i have that same problem on my '96 sunfire. my right side (still havnt isolated front or back yet) clunks and pops when i corner. And i dont have the money to just go replacing stuff until it stops, and the suspension and tire shops around here want an arm, a leg, and a soul to figure it out and fix it for me.
Monday, March 02, 2015 4:28 AM
Alan, don't double/cross post.

I just replied to your other thread, and then found this one here. Keep your questions in the right forums, and don't repost. You can message the moderators to move a post if you put it in the wrong forum.

Back to the subject, for both of you guys, this is usually a shock or strut mount issue. They wear, and the shaft of the shock or strut bangs back and forth inside the mount. It also could be the bushing at the bottom of the shock. The best thing to do is to get the wheel off, and get in there and start trying to shake things up until you find the loose part, and then examine it.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:43 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Alan, don't double/cross post.

I just replied to your other thread, and then found this one here. Keep your questions in the right forums, and don't repost. You can message the moderators to move a post if you put it in the wrong forum.

Back to the subject, for both of you guys, this is usually a shock or strut mount issue. They wear, and the shaft of the shock or strut bangs back and forth inside the mount. It also could be the bushing at the bottom of the shock. The best thing to do is to get the wheel off, and get in there and start trying to shake things up until you find the loose part, and then examine it.

know anyone who sells aftermarket stiffer lower strut bushings?? mine are gone on a set of konis I'm putting in!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search