Subframe Replacement - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subframe Replacement
Saturday, August 29, 2015 10:45 PM
I have a 1998 Sunfire , 2 door with 2.2L engine, automatic. The subframe is rotten and will be replacing it with a subframe from a 2003. The subframes are slightly different does the exhaust from the 1998 work with the 2003 subframe?
Ron
Canada

Re: Subframe Replacement
Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:15 AM
The 03+ will not work on an LN2 car precisely because of the exhaust routing. You need a 95-02 unless you want to do some funky custom exhaust routing.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:48 PM
Has anyone modified the brace to accept the exhaust of an earlier model but still retain the rigidity of the added brace. What I was going to do was cut out the section of the brace to allow the exhaust pipe to pass, and replace it with a pipe(same thickness)that is cut in half....sort of a "U" shaped valley if you will. Weld it in and see how it fits.Would sure like some input......
Thanks Alot
Ron
Canada
Wednesday, September 02, 2015 8:28 PM

My old subframe along with second hand subframe, cleaned,rust checked and painted. Although the secong hand frame is fom a 2003, to make the exhaust from my 1998 fit, I have to modify the frame abit.

The above picture shows the section that will be cut out and replaced with a pipe cut in half to make a valley which will accomadate the 98 exhaust pipe while still retaining the rigidity of the added brace.

Using Google Sketchup you get the idea.
Wednesday, September 02, 2015 8:39 PM
Sorry about pictures not showing up
Wednesday, September 02, 2015 8:48 PM

Thursday, September 03, 2015 5:34 PM
pictures not showing up for some reason
Friday, September 11, 2015 1:51 PM
No reason why it won't do, but that's a lot of work that I don't think you'll notice an increased stiffness in the subframe. Can you not find a decent 95-02 one, or are you doing this for an expected improvement?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search