Rear Parking Brake Issues - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Parking Brake Issues
Monday, June 20, 2016 6:43 PM
ok bought a 2001 cav z24 like 2 months ago and did full brakes all around did new drums / shoes and spring kit... noticed that the drums felt a little tight after even with parking brake adjuster all the way free .... when I had it in for cert he told me the drums came off easy and they were fine! so I thought nothing of it .. been driving it now since last Friday ... noticed brake were dragging so jacked up the car and checked ... yup wheels were pretty much locked! took rears apart and doubled checked all looked good! so I engaged the parking brake a few times and noticed the handle got tighter and tighter with each pull! I can only get 3-4 clicks..so I jacked the car up and pulled and played with the parking cables... and voila it freed up! ok one would think ok sticking cables... so I bought all three and replaced them last night! nice and free and in and same thing after a few pulls it was tight again and wheels would spin unless I went under the car adnd pulled on the cable from milddle of the rear axle then it freed up! I thought possible the handle self rachet mechanism was screwed... so I pulled handle from my 1999 sunfire and threw it in! ( worked fine on that car) .... bam same thing! so stressed! what do you think it can be?? its like there isn't enough spring action to release cables to there normal state ! I can free them from pushing back on the ball of the main cable and its fine till I enegaged again... after a few pulls its hard and 3-4 clicks again!

could I have @!#$ty cables?? just doesn't make any sense.... I have done a @!#$ load of brakes and never had this issue before . its driving me nuts! I have the console out and no arm rest... very uncomfortable to drive!

Re: Rear Parking Brake Issues
Wednesday, November 02, 2016 10:37 AM
I got info if anyone else has issues with it sticking.. its the stupid self adjuster! I just bypassed it !
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search