air ride and lowering springs question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
air ride and lowering springs question
Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:02 PM
Ok you guys might think im dumb for asking this but oh well I don't care Im curious. Everyone says not to lower on stock struts which I agree, I had my car lowered on stock struts and broke my tie rod, rack and pinion. Well my question is whats the difference between having a car lowered on stock struts compared to a car with air ride?? Alot of people with air ride drive around with the car lower then stock height and they are also constantly slamming it raising it blah blah. Wouldn't air ride be worse for your suspension?

Re: air ride and lowering springs question
Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:42 PM
chris b wrote:Well my question is whats the difference between having a car lowered on stock struts compared to a car with air ride??

Everything.

In a nutshell the airride struts are designed for the abuse of airride.

FYI - Our air-ride setups are a strut bag and your questions seem to imply that they are just bags on stock struts. When you buy the air-ride(i have Airlift's Easystreet) you get a preassembled bag on a special designed strut and installed it as a unit.

I have been bagged for a year and havent had any problems with broken/worn suspension or steering parts. Ironically the only suspension problem i have every had was that my LF spring(stock metal springs and stock struts) broke the bottom coil competely off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:53 PM

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:10 PM
I know the air ride bags aren't on stock struts I have cylinders on my cav myself I was just wondering cant they do as much damage to your balljoints, tie rod, rack n pinion, etc as lowering springs can on stock struts can?? sorry im just confused on how one can do alot of damage and the other can't.
Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:17 PM
For the same reason AGXs, D-specs, Koni yellows, etc dont tear them up. The are designed for being lowered. Stock struts can barely handle the stock springs.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:30 PM
most people that cheap out on lowering their cars usually break something other then their stock strut. I get that the aftermarket struts are made better for lowering. Are our balljoints, tie rod, etc good for air ride or do you guys usually upgrade your steering and suspension components when you swap for air ride. I guess I just don't see how these guys in my town are driving lowered cars on stock struts I know alot of people here in town thats been riding like that for years with no problems. Whats the biggest problem when driving around with lowering springs on stock struts?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search