big ol fat how to - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
big ol fat how to
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:24 AM
Gm wants to charge me 200 bucks to put new brake pads on so I figured Id try it first to save some money. but Ive never tried it before. does any one have a link or there own how to on putting on new pads. any help could save me 200 thanks.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: big ol fat how to
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:51 AM
Your best bet is to pick up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual and just follow the steps. Easy as pie!

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:55 AM
Yeah but I cant seem to find one there arent any at My local store.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:50 AM
There is no Haynes or Chiltons for the newer Cavaliers. I beleive the last one stops at 2001, but the brake information might be the same through 2005.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:19 AM
its all the same. the brakes are easy. take the wheel off. get a 3/8 allen key and there are 2 bolts on the back side of the caliper. loosen them to take them off. use something to seperate the old pads apart (if you dont, the new pads wont fit on the rotor. i use a C clamp and it works good.) once you have them far enough apart, just pop them out. then place in the new ones. while your changing your brakes, dont let the caliper just hang from the brake line. sit it on top of your rotor. then once you got the new pads on, fit it back over the rotor and tighten up the bolts. put the wheel back on and then get in the car and jump pump the brake pedal a few times and your good. takes maybe about 30 mins

Sunday, April 03, 2005 2:24 PM
Yeah, for the $10 or so that they cost, the manual is still well worth while for the info on all the stuff that hasn't changed like pretty much the entire suspension and braking system.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 3:51 PM
I just picked up a Haynes at Autozone two nights ago, goes all the way up to 2004, was like 12 bucks.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 4:38 PM
BlackEco, can you give me the number off the back of that book. The only one I can find goes to 01, and I'd like to have the book you have so I can have information on the Ecotec. Thanks!

Monday, April 04, 2005 6:26 AM
jkhd03cav wrote:BlackEco, can you give me the number off the back of that book. The only one I can find goes to 01, and I'd like to have the book you have so I can have information on the Ecotec. Thanks!

me too ,I might drive by Autozone and see if that have it in stock , with my luck I'll forget on the way home.

Monday, April 04, 2005 6:28 AM
Did you get it yet?

Steps

1, Take Off Wheels with car jacked up
2, Get allen and unscrew the two bolts
3, Pull of caliper pads should come right out
4, Put one lug not on the stud and crank it down to hold the rotor in place
5, big channel locks or c clamp and compress the piston in
6, put new pads in and place back on rotor
7, Tighten down the two allens
8, take off lug nut and put the wheel back on
9, press brakes and drive away!

1998 Z24 Convertible 5 Speed
Monday, April 04, 2005 6:45 AM
Steps

1, Take Off Wheels with car jacked up
1a. TAKE OFF THE CAP TO YOUR BRAKE RESERVOIR, PUMP THE BRAKES ONCE OR TWICE.
2, Get allen and unscrew the two bolts
3, Pull of caliper pads should come right out
4, Put one lug nut on the stud and crank it down to hold the rotor in place
5, big channel locks or c clamp and compress the piston in
5a put brake anti squeal on the back of the pads, it should come in the box the pads came in.
6, put new pads in and place back on rotor
7, Tighten down the two allens after putting a very small thin thin layer of caliper bolt lube on the sliders(bolts) the more you put on the more dirt will get stuck in there.
8, take off lug nut and put the wheel back on
8a do the other side first., than put the cap back on.
8b start the car pump the brakes till the pedal gets hard.
9, press brakes and drive away! take it easy for the first few stops to make sure everything is cool
then see a post that floating around about bedding in your new pads.

I'm sure theres more that would come to me as I was doing it.,

Monday, April 04, 2005 12:13 PM
a c clamp to compress the cyclindar.... I personal use a big screwdriver works great. Befor you take the caliper off, stick the screwdriver between the rotor and brake pad and press the cyclindar back in. Then remove the caliper and remove the pads, put the new ones on and put the caliper back on. Should take you about 5 minutes a side (that includes removing the wheel).

Monday, April 04, 2005 1:50 PM
jkhd03cav wrote:BlackEco, can you give me the number off the back of that book. The only one I can find goes to 01, and I'd like to have the book you have so I can have information on the Ecotec. Thanks!

Just re-asking my question and bumping the thread.

Monday, April 04, 2005 2:59 PM
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:24 PM
<insert curse @ threadjacker>
Hey guys, Sorry I could not respond so quickly, read below if you want to know why, your answers are:
Haynes -04 Repair Manual
front number : 38016 (this is the number you need)
Back : ISBN 1 56392 571 0 / 799-1959

I got home and my girlfriend came over, I had a little bit of a clunking noise in my right rear after the Koni sport kit install, I decided to pull out the strut and reseat the spring, checking it to make sure its okay. I get it back in and im torquing down the damn nut on the top of the strut tower and ~SNAP!!~

OHHHHH SHHHIIIOOOTTT!! TO SAY THE LEAST
This is by no means good because tomorrow I need to drive half way across da Nati for work and then pick up my Konigs Unknowns on the way home

It was 8 oclock, just getting dark (damn daylight savings time) I drove half way around cincinnati, finnally after checking every damn open parts place and dealer, my last hope, I see Autozone beaconing out at me. I had been told by another Autozone they did not carry Rear upper stut mounts, I figured I would try, what the H, got in there, THEY HAD 2 OF THEM, I said Ill take them both! Learned my lesson, always have a spare one on hand they are hard to get.
Got home, bored the damn mount out on the drill press and got my wheel back on, Now time for some sleep and then off to work and Konigs
OMG somebody kill me for being O/T

BTW the manual is pretty nice for the money, should save me a few bucks in the long run.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search