low rpm lag - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
low rpm lag
Monday, January 24, 2005 5:09 PM
i searched the forums and i couldn't find an answer... i have a 2000 cavalier Z24...i just got it not to long ago....i was wondering if it is normal for it to lag and almost hesitate when you give moderate throttle under 2000rpm? it mostly happenes in 2nd or 3rd gear...just change the plugs so i dont think that is the prob...maybe dirty tb or something?

Re: low rpm lag
Monday, January 24, 2005 6:03 PM
Yea mine does the same thing and i couldn't figure out what it was. I'd really like to find out what is causing this cause it drives me crazy.
Monday, January 24, 2005 6:33 PM
Ya its really annoying but maybe thats just the car but i doubt it....hey pinko yer from sydney?? i used to live in baddeck... not much going on in CB eh?
Monday, January 24, 2005 7:12 PM
Yeah guys, ive got a 99 2.4, M5, same deal...cept for my it lags more in the 1500 -2000 range...then its fine...i find that it usually happens to me cause i take corners way to slow in 3rd then try to go again, and im just in to high of gear...but 1500-2000 low enough in books to need to downshift? seems way to high to stall? so i just think its a lag of some sort...please correct me if wrong...and feedback in case i do infact need to drop to 2 on corners...but then 2500rpm seems way to high

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:44 PM
Its really your prefrence about shifting but i've driven lost of cars that this problem doesnt happen ....the car has lots of low end torque so i thought it was weird......i was just wondering if its the nature of the car
Monday, January 24, 2005 9:50 PM
AHA Yea actually I just moved out to Grande Pairie about 3 weeks ago. But nah there's nuttin really goin on down there. Boring ol' CB. I had to get out. lol
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 7:51 PM
my 2.2 did this and it was the plugs. They go bad like every 2 months and ive used all kinds of plugs. The ac delco proffesional platinums last the longest. good luck.

"Smoke em till they blow"
"If its to loud, your to old!"
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:20 AM
um guys..sounds like either a few things..first thing ofcourse is plugs..then try changing your fuel filter..would also recommend a new throttle position sensor(ac delco aswell)
i had the same problem and it ended up being my ignition coils..but thats cus i had the wrong ones in after i swaped engines and i dont think thats what you guys did

Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:37 PM
Well, the 4 bangers hit best HP at over 2500RPMs, so you could just not be feeling the power untill over that. My 2 cents.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Thursday, February 10, 2005 7:04 PM
i've noticed this too. i think its more of a 2.4 thing....

in my auto, ive noticed that there are a FEW rare times when i'll punch the gas, near 2000 rpms in third gear and it just doesn't shift down, and boy, does it piss me off. i think its because in that gear when you punch it the engine is producing JUST enough to trick the computer and hydraulic pressure in the tranny to not shift downwards. i think its just one of those rare awkward situations that it can happen.

now, if it happens to you all the time, then its a prob

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, February 11, 2005 2:18 PM
Could also be just the fact that they arent peppy in that rpm range, but check the maintanence stuff, maybe I'm not seeing it as as much of a problem as you are saying

Said by cheesecake: I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT IN MY LIFE GM CAN SUCK MY D*CK I AGREE!

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:12 AM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:Well, the 4 bangers hit best HP at over 2500RPMs, so you could just not be feeling the power untill over that. My 2 cents.

Yeah, get used to it, or buy a V6. I had a 2.4, it wasn't like it bogged or anything, more like i had to wait till 3-3500 rpm. And as I modded, it just got worse... Down low. Up high was another story.

My Sunfire
Monday, February 21, 2005 4:55 PM
my 96 z24 does it. I think its the TPS sensor it hesitates at different rpms mostly lower
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:47 PM
Nitrous will fix that lag

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:13 PM
my 96 130k lags out the ass sometimes, when i start after i long stop. it'll rev up like normal but right then start droppin down like its starvin or sumthin. somthimes it'll catch n keep goin, but sometimes it just cuts off, sometimes in traffic n i have to park it n restart it. this is really annoying, maybe someone can help me out?!?
thanx

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:13 PM
bump

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:35 AM
I have the same problem except that my car gets worst in third. I was told that the problem is the way our cars are geared.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:28 PM
Dump some fuel injector cleaner in the next time you fill up. You could have dirty or clogged fuel injectors...
Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:56 PM
i put in engine restore when i change my oil. could i use fuel injector cleaner with it?

Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:55 PM
The fuel injector cleaner is good to use in every other tank of gas... Next time you are on empty go buy some STP Fuel Injector Cleaner and dump it in yer tank seconds before you fill it up.. You should notice a difference.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search