95-99 z24 'verts - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95-99 z24 'verts
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:19 AM
Anybody have alot of issues with these? I'm thinking of picking one up with around 60k kms on it (25k miles +/-) And i'm just wondering if there's anything i should be worried about. I've checked the usual stuff, the top and seals are in decent shape.

Now structurally, how sound are they? i prolly wont AutoX it, but with my ProStreets will i run any sort of risk in bending or causing too much flex if i drive it hard? I"m just a bit worried about that, and the fact that half the interior will be next to impossible to get at a wrecker.

Any input's would be appreciated

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Re: 95-99 z24 'verts
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:38 AM
As a two-vert-J owner I think I'm qualified to answer....

As long as it doesn't leak... it's probably fine. Convertible-specific parts (ie. most of the interior) ARE hard to find, and usually overpriced. The front seal is hella expensive to change, and as far as I know only GM sells it.

Check to see that the quarter windows line up with the door glass properly. That's about the only real advice I have for ya.

The chassis is pretty stiff... it will flex if it needs to... but lowered, the cowl shakes pretty good. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Other than that.... keep in mind it's just a coupe with the roof hacked off... so the issues you'd run into are the same as a regular coupe for the rest of the car.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:51 AM
sweet, when i saw your car here in winnipeg, it really made me want one. I've been looking around, vickars here has one thats 'so so' 62k kms on it, but the doors are rusty already.

there's another one i'm looking at soon, red/black top. The only thing is that i eventaully want a 5-spd, so i plan on swapping that in there.

Anything else i should look for? Sofar, leaks (lol of course), side window/quarter window.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:04 PM
2000's with 5 speeds are uber rare.

95-99's... well, the 2.4 was optional in 96 & 97.. standard in 98+.. the 99's can be made into a 2000 (electrically, anyway) very easily... I did that with my white car. Easier to find a 5 speed in these years...

or just do what I did... buy a 2000 and swap it. Hey, I'm selling the white 'vert!! $9500 and I might even deliver it...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:50 PM
really? what all was required to swap to a BCM environment? i plan on throwing my 00 dash into the vert, and i'd love the newer style BCM, plus it would fit perfectly swapping to a BCM environment kuz i would like to do the GM s/c on it

any info on the 'vert? i'm looking at a 99 red vert with 58k kms on it loaded to the tits for $8995

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:07 PM
GM S/C... that's why I swapped it to a 2000 wiring harness and all that. But then I bought the red one and made it a 5 speed.. heh.

Let's see... 99 to 00... you have to gut the car... replace all the wiring.. body harness... dash harness... engine harness. Modify the lighting harness to make it compatible (or at least, add a wire to the washer tank pump motor... they moved it between 99 and 00). Change the first O2 sensor (99 = one wire, 00 = two wire). Change the cluster. Remove the convenience centre, install the BCM. Change the brake module, and either rebend the brake lines or get the 00-05 style ones. Or dump the ABS altogether and get an 03-05 brake line block.

You'd need to change the dash anyway, since the cluster is larger and won't fit properly into the older dash..

The white vert reads 75k kms right now... but it has no rust

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:40 PM
Mine's a '99 with about 88,000 miles on it and no problems so far. Only problems right now are that the ABS is dead and it leaks a bit in heavy rain.

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:37 AM
99 Convertible owner here with 74.xxx only problem i have had is with
it leaking ~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search