dual fans - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: dual fans
Saturday, November 12, 2005 5:30 PM
k sorry i didnt finish reading the post just answered my question

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:14 PM
Just some more info.....

Fan assembly same fit is......

According to GM...

Alero '99-04 Fan Assembly
Cutlass '97 Fan Assembly; exc. Supreme
Cutlass '98-99 Fan Assembly
Grand Am '99-02 Fan Assembly
Grand Am '03-05 Fan Assembly; 3.4L
Malibu '97-03 Fan Assembly

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:31 AM
sorry for the long time to reply, I got my fans out of a 99 Malibu just ran another relay so it would come on with my other fan, Also the exhaust is a solid upgrade as well to 2.225 inch . Great exhaust update with cust a cout or two.
Friday, December 02, 2005 7:36 PM
Im quite interested in this too, but im worried about a few things.

1) How much more does the dual fan weigh compared to the stock single fan?

2) Whats the amp draw of stock vs the dual fan?

3) The dual fan has blades that are reversed then that of stock, so is it still a puller fan?

Friday, December 02, 2005 7:37 PM
Forgot :

4) Whats the CFM of stock and the dual?

Friday, December 16, 2005 4:09 PM
Dead again huh?

Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:48 PM
^curious too bump also lenko, on the relay, what wires are connecting to what from the extra fan?

Monday, January 23, 2006 7:27 AM
Back from the dead, kinda. So any new info?

Figured it be better then making a new topic.

Monday, January 23, 2006 10:06 AM
listening also.................

Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:43 PM
yeah i would like to know more about mounting brackets that would need to be fabbed and the wiring needed. im handy with bothe so it shouldnt be very hard.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:52 AM
any update on the wireing diagram fr this

Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:23 AM
I never did hook up the second fan. The one fan seems to cool it off just fine for now (and hey, it's winter ). I might get around to it soon.

I'm going to mount a factory-style relay in the underhood box, just like the factory fan relay. Just duplicate the wiring.... a big wire for power to one side of the relay, both poles... a switched ground for control, and the big output wire to the fan. Then the other wire of the fan to ground. Pretty basic stuff here guys.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:42 AM
ok just checking

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:57 AM
bfd, anyone ever get the dual fans running???

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:31 AM
Blew my engine.... nothing to cool off right now.

I might keep the dual fans if there's room once I get an engine in there. If not, oh well... like I said, the stock single fan is MORE than sufficient.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:08 PM
Ok guys I just happened to trip over this thread,
I did a 3.4 swap in an o1 cav the pics are on page 9 of the 3.4 v6 swap thread. Im pretty sure I have some good pics of the fan in there. The drivers side sits in the factory mounts and the passenger side has small 1 inch x 1 inch angle brackets that I pop riveted to the top and bottom bar of the actual radiator. There is no coolant in the upper and lower most parts of the radiator fins so its ok to attach here.. The fan that I got was out of a 2000 alero with a 3.4, the 2.4 also works.

I do have both fans working, by using the factory harness and fuse box of the grand am that was my donor car. I must say the wiring for the two fans is a little strange. It has a 30 amp fuse on the ground terminal of one fan. I think its setup for two speeds. If I can figure out if I have a diagram for that Ill try to get it on here.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:30 PM

You see what I mean, by its a little strange.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:45 PM
What is the best format to use for downloading images? This is way bigger than I wanted it to be.

Any way, The cav Pcm doesnt have a high speed output for the fans so your going to have to use a relay for each fan with a supply line that is fused at 30 a for each.
Use the existing relay, then tie into the dark green wire that energizes the exhisting relay to energize the second relay. The dark green is a ground that the conputer turns on and off. The other side is the red which is hot all the time. Ill get you the cav diagram too.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:48 PM
Pretty cool!

So the PCM commands low fan speed.... it powers both fans in series, so they're only seeing half the voltage. If the PCM commands high fan speed, the second relay (mode control relay) switches the two from series to parallel, so they see the full 12 volts...

Very neat.... possible on our cars, but you'd need a manual switch. The relays would be laid out exactly as that ^ describes. Hmmm.....

Thanks Joe!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:50 PM
Glad to help

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:47 PM
Thanks for the info Joe.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:16 PM
I have an Idea for you guys. When I first did my v-8 s-10 I used a electric cooling fan. When I wired it up I bought an adjustable fan switch, what it did was turned it on at a temperature that I set with the knob. It had a temp probe that attached to the rad fins to read the temp. I bought it at Advanced auto parts, I think it was around 15 bucks. What you could do is wire it as shown on the dual fans, then use the adjustable for the High speed signal to turn on the fans high speed. If you dont have an advance auto parts try www.jegs.com

Friday, August 18, 2006 5:17 PM
John Lenko wrote:Pretty cool!

So the PCM commands low fan speed.... it powers both fans in series, so they're only seeing half the voltage. If the PCM commands high fan speed, the second relay (mode control relay) switches the two from series to parallel, so they see the full 12 volts...

Very neat.... possible on our cars, but you'd need a manual switch. The relays would be laid out exactly as that ^ describes. Hmmm.....

Thanks Joe!

Same way the 3800 works.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Friday, August 18, 2006 5:38 PM
Glad to see this got revived. Haven't read anything on this, but I like it. Cooler is always better. I think I have another thing to add to my "to do" list

Friday, September 08, 2006 6:51 AM
One other thought on the dual fan setup. Wire the fans separately, one that is factory the other through a fusable switch to be manually turned on during temp spikes in heavy traffic or if you need it cooled faster after the engine is off.

Just a thought.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search