Any success stories of building a NA motor? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any success stories of building a NA motor?
Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:58 AM
The question is more like would it be worth building a NA motor and getting good results, by going with an overall high compression engine vs. going forced induction by means of turbo or supercharger. I have a 2.4 apart, hanging out in the garage and I dont really want it to go to waste.

Absolute Finest President
www.AbsoluteFinest.net
www.cnfxperformance.com

Re: Any success stories of building a NA motor?
Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:49 PM
Karo got around 250whp out of his NA 2.4L.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, December 01, 2005 4:16 PM
Strong NA engines are always cooler!

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 4:46 PM
Thanks

www.AbsoluteFinest.net
www.cnfxperformance.com

Saturday, December 03, 2005 9:50 PM
Grinding the head, getting new pistons (mantapart has them) you can bump it up as high at 13:1 (100+ octance only), bore the block over to 2.7L, and get some serious power out of them.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 10:58 PM
would 13.1 compression be streetable that sounds way to high. and ur also talking about grinding down the heads a significant amount to bump the compression up i would hope u never let it overheat whatsoever casue if so kiss those heads goodbye. but i do agree with bumping up the compression i would say 10-10.5 to 1 and i do agree with boring to free up some but if its ur dd u have to keep it reliable but goodluck in ur all motor car cause its always better smoking a FI car when its all motor

95 Mustang GT
check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/793525
Sunday, December 04, 2005 2:08 AM
Quote:

would 13.1 compression be streetable that sounds way to high.

Jesus no! If I was running that compression, I'd be worried what kind of gas I can use without it either detonating or just not even running lol

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:47 AM
Yes you could build a nice NA motor. It all depends on your goal. Depending on what you want to run will depend on if boost will be better.
Can you run high compression on the street yes you can. It is all in the tuning. Would I build a motor like that and drive it daily, no. The time and money you will have envolved, I would not want to put useless miles on the motor. not saying I would not drive it at all.
I truly think on the 2.4 all motor has not been fully explored. I also would not bore it to a 2.7.

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 04, 2005 1:54 PM
well with all my mods in my reg. i can keep with an RSX-S now and stock i was only running 16.3 so id say its well worth going N/A.

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, December 04, 2005 4:35 PM
^^^ Thats pretty good especially since you have an Automatic tranny. 1 question though, is there a noticeable difference with the balance shafts removed?

Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:44 PM
yes there is its revs a little faster and i think it pulls a good bit more from a stop or from a roll and ive had others riding with me that say the same thing as sooon as a track opens up ill be back at the track to get some new times to see the real difference. i ran a 15.8 with them in and id honestly say its about a .3 gain in the 1/4 but we'll just have to see for certain

The one, the only, ME.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 6:27 PM
ive thought of doin n/a.....ive always find it kinda cool

do alot of research around the site, i remeber seeing some posts about this not to long ago

and karo is crazy fast n/a but im shure the amount of money he has put into that engine is gonna be to much for an average person (then again i don't know for shure)

Sunday, December 04, 2005 7:10 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, it is the daily driver. I need something dependable for everyday driving. Lookin at something in the 10:1 range. Trying to keep it so i can still roll up to the gas pump anywhere. 13:1 is more then i want to mess with and im not tryin to 100+ octane. Now is it reasonable to, or available to go with higher compression pistons and not bore out? And if I end up boring out it would be like 20 over. Any more then that I think would leave some thin cylinder walls. Overall, the project would be to create somewhat of a sleeper, and not break the bank, along with being able to drive it everyday. I've seen a 2.4 bored out 40 over, and the cylinder walls seemed really thin. Then again that car was built for boost and is making over 200+ WHP. I was also thinking of saving the money up for a good down payment on a newer car, maybe perhaps a Cobalt SS Supercharged.....we'll see.

www.AbsoluteFinest.net
www.cnfxperformance.com

Monday, December 05, 2005 8:47 PM
No dont get the ss cobalt supercharged get the 2.4l ecotec model with a stock 170 hp it has less stock power but has more potential
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:45 PM
Oh yeah? Hmmm, something to think about. Thanks.

www.AbsoluteFinest.net
www.cnfxperformance.com

Thursday, December 08, 2005 10:12 AM
George Lopez wrote:No dont get the ss cobalt supercharged get the 2.4l ecotec model with a stock 170 hp it has less stock power but has more potential

The 2.0SC has forged internals from the factory, the 2.4 only has vvti and normal stock internals, I'd say the 2.0SC has FAR more potential than the 2.4, and starts you off with a SC.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Friday, December 09, 2005 10:36 AM
the reason the 2.4 has more potential is because you can GET all the forged internals and things... then get the same supercharger that's on the 2.0... getting the SS n/a would cost a lot more after all of the upgrades but it would end up being a much faster car it seems like.

==================

"An okay movie is the same as an ex girlfriend...it was good at the time,
but you never want to see it again... especially if the movie was a bitch."
Monday, December 12, 2005 1:06 PM
I'd get the SC to start then i can have my fun for a while till the warranty runs out then after that who knows.

www.AbsoluteFinest.net
www.cnfxperformance.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:22 AM
I've heard stories of a company taking an 2.0 SC taking the SC off, putting a normal induction system into it and turbo'ing it from there... their hopes were in the upwards of 300+ whp from their data... i'll have to ask my friend what company is doing it.. but I definately think that would be quite interesting....

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:44 PM
honestly with the same amount of boost that stock S/C is putting out the turbo would be far better right off the bat, defintiely sounds like a good idea id be curious also as to the out come of that project

The one, the only, ME.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search