2.4L's reaction to mods - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L's reaction to mods
Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:01 AM
I was wondering if our 2.4L reacts to mods (I,H,E, Cams, pullies) well in general. i know some 2.4s may respond to the mods more than others but if you were to put it in general. althought a k20 is diffrenent than a LD9, ive heard those motors respond well to mods. how does the 2.4 fair?

sorry if i sound stupid or dumb.

Re: 2.4L's reaction to mods
Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:58 AM
They respond alright but responding to modifications sometimes comes down to how the computer reacts as well, not just the motor.

With basic bolt ons, it reacts like how alot 4 cylinders would (atleast DOHC motors). Also, it depends on what parts you use, what size exhaust you get and a bunch of other things that come into play as to how they "respond".

Don't worry, your question isn't dumb. It's better to ask than assume.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:35 PM
ok, thanks alot..

Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:05 PM
2enthusiast4 wrote:ok, thanks alot..

hey, im new to this site, and was wondering if you tell me how well (or not well) 4 cylinders respond to bolt ons?..thanks!
Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:19 PM
is that not the same question?? lol

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.
FACT : It is our American RIGHT to own a GUN but not to drive a car.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for saftey deserves neither Freedom nor safety!" - Benjamin Franklin
"The real destroyer of liberties is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch
Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:19 PM
Most things respond well and make some noise but, you are not going to make lots of power with simple bolt ons. As NJHK said, it depends on what you get, what size certin things are, ect...

Mike B, Where are you in MD?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, December 19, 2005 8:17 AM
around the whitemarsh/ middleriver area
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:07 PM
the LD9 responds much better than the LN2 I'll say that for sure lol

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:47 AM
After reading around in an RSX forum, someone said that a car's reaction to a mod is also dependant on if the car in stock form is "suffocated". By this, they mean that it has a restictive intake or/and restrictive exhaust. they said it explains why some cars like the Type-R dont really respond to mods because they are basically tweaked in stock form.

to me it sounds logical but could this just be some ricer theory?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:08 AM
2enthusiast4 wrote:After reading around in an RSX forum, someone said that a car's reaction to a mod is also dependant on if the car in stock form is "suffocated". By this, they mean that it has a restictive intake or/and restrictive exhaust. they said it explains why some cars like the Type-R dont really respond to mods because they are basically tweaked in stock form.

to me it sounds logical but could this just be some ricer theory?

A big part of it has to do with the computer. Some computers, when they detect a higher flow of air or exhaust flow, they can throw more fuel or retard timing which can effect your powerband completely. Heck, try and turbo a car on a stock computer and it won't know what to do cause it's not used to seeing such a high rate of airflow...that's why people get Standalones/Piggybacks, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps etc to supply enough fuel and the right amount of fuel...that's where "tuning" comes in

But back on topic, there are some computers where no matter what kind of upgrade you do, your computer wants to put your back to it's stock A/F ratio or very damn near close, so in reality, you upgraded your air intake amount & air flow but your computer isn't putting the right amount of fuel to support the extra air or ignition timing.

I hope this made sense...it's 4 am lol

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:18 AM
Does the 2.4 respond well to mods. Yes. I have one (couple) my all motor car runs 14's.
As stated it does depend on what mods, size etc you do. Many people on this site will tell you many things. Just do plenty of research, do lots of reading. Look at cars with good times and what they have. Also remember just because you have the same mods do not mean you will be as fast. Driving is a BIG part!

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 22, 2005 11:14 AM
soo..it does seem that computering plays a big part. since it seems that the 2.4 responds pretty well to mods (bolt ons), it seems the computer has a little "adaptability" to it. Right?

I also think i've found claims that the 2.4 respond well. on a neon forum and on the same rsx forum. On the street racing section, a cavalier was involved. they said they see Z's and have friends w/ Z's with bolt on running low 15's/ high 14's all day. twice, they also said Z's respond "disgustingly well to mods"

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:40 PM
John Higgins wrote:Does the 2.4 respond well to mods. Yes. I have one (couple) my all motor car runs 14's.
As stated it does depend on what mods, size etc you do. Many people on this site will tell you many things. Just do plenty of research, do lots of reading. Look at cars with good times and what they have. Also remember just because you have the same mods do not mean you will be as fast. Driving is a BIG part!

this is way off topic but i love ur 96 man, that cars sick... whats going on with it? or do u still have it?

Monday, December 26, 2005 11:47 AM
DaBlackZ wrote:
John Higgins wrote:Does the 2.4 respond well to mods. Yes. I have one (couple) my all motor car runs 14's.

this is way off topic but i love ur 96 man, that cars sick... whats going on with it? or do u still have it?

Thanks. Still have it. It is siting. We thought we spun a rod bearing, but might be a broken lifter, or valve spring. We will know soon. It will be better than everyone it is fixed.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 26, 2005 1:38 PM
nice nice... ever since i saw that car on ur site when i first joined i loved it... always wanted my 96 to be like that car... but i doubt i'll ever do half the things that car has... got any more pics of it?

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:30 PM
I have a 99 2.4L M/Trans

2.25" cat-back
4-2-1 header w/ race pipe (no converter)
Short ram intake w/ K&N filter
62mm Throttle Body
Ported intake manifold
Upper motor mount
NGK Iridium Plugs

All of these are boltons... basic ones. I believe that my 2.4 has responded astoundingly well to each of them. My very first mod was the short ram intake, and even with the restrictive stock exhaust still there and everything else stock, the difference was like night and day. I love my 2.4 because everything I do to it, within reason, makes a great noticible difference. So even simple things cause a good reaction. Also, the only time my computer EVER gave me trouble was when I removed my catalytic converter, but that was fixed easily.

Of course that's just MY car. Just because we have the same motor doesn't necessarily mean that yours will respond just as well. However, I think it's a resonable assumption that yours will react nicely to bolt-ons as well.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:25 PM
Humm....I would say pretty responsive to mods.....it took great to the intake and exaust I dropped on it.........On the dyno it said that I had gained about 43 HP from just those two. Idk.......I'm looking for something more to do to my car, but don't really wanna spend much. I'm gonna sell it when I move to the mainland. What you guys think?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:28 PM
joshua Acosta wrote:...it took great to the intake and exaust I dropped on it.........On the dyno it said that I had gained about 43 HP from just those two.

WTF?! No way... 43HP??? Are you absolutely sure?! I'm definitely not being a jerk here... but I seriously don't believe that for a second... not at all. There must be some mistake. Type-o perhaps?

Even if you did the COMPLETE intake (intake, TB, manifold) and COMPLETE exhaust (header, cat, cat-back) you'd be DAMN LUCKY to get +43HP (about 194HP @ flywheel) over stock on a Z, but you only have the Bomz intake and a cat-back... according to your profile. It would be more like +3-6 intake and +5-10 exhaust for you (+8-16HP, 158-166HP). I have FULL intake and FULL exhaust upgrades and there's no way I even have 43HP more from all that. All those numbers are relative estimations, of course.

Was this dyno a "butt dyno" perhaps? You'd have to upload pics of Before & After dyno charts for anyone in the world to believe you got all that power... but I doubt you have them... because that power increase is basically impossible.

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:39 PM
joshua Acosta wrote:Humm....I would say pretty responsive to mods.....it took great to the intake and exaust I dropped on it.........On the dyno it said that I had gained about 43 HP from just those two. Idk.......I'm looking for something more to do to my car, but don't really wanna spend much. I'm gonna sell it when I move to the mainland. What you guys think?

I have to raise the BS flag i have a lot more mods that you and i have a 992.4 and did not make 43 HP. The GM supercharger alone puts down something in that range from GM claims.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:02 PM
thanks for the input. I just had my header installed just today and I didnt really get to open it up untill i reseted the computer. Cant wait to open it up.

For those who have the LD9 and have mods, Put in your inputs and what you got to say after the mods u have installed. if you think it has reacted well or no diffrence.

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:38 PM
I have a 97 2.4L and I have installed A short ram intake with a K&N filter and I noticed a difference in the higher speed acceleration. Pulled a little harder when I put the foot down. Can't wait to upgrade the exhaust too.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:50 AM
Mine has done alright with the mods that I've done to it.........

Sunday, January 15, 2006 9:48 AM
1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Auto

WAI, solid upper and lower engine mounts, high flow cat, rksport spark boots and inserts, @!#$ty tires and ran a 15.3 @ 88. Not bad considering i know ppl with stock 2.4 autos running 16 flats. We'll see what the HO mani and 59mm TB does to that when i get to the track again.

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:28 PM
15.3 with an auto!..daymm. good job man. best i did was 15.4 w/ 5spd. never got to run it with the HO mani w/ header+full exhaust though. but boy oh boy does the car feel like an animal now. I must say the header and full exhaust gave me my most noticable gain.. too bad our only track closed due to an expired lease. sad thing is that there is no plans on making another track yet .

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:34 PM
I cant wait to go back to the track with the HO mani and TB....hopefully by the time the track opens i can have my header and catback on since i already have the high flow cat. Im gonna do everything in my power to hit a 15 flat by spring. Internals may be in order

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search