Leak/drip under dash - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Leak/drip under dash
Thursday, December 22, 2005 3:43 PM
On the passenger side of my girlfriend's 98' Cavalier Z28 Convertible there is a drip coming from up under the dash. I looked under there with a flashlight and could not easily find the leak.

There is also the sound of water sliding back and forth when she turns. Where are the drain areas since I am pretty sure they are clogged? Can I access this from outside or do i have to take apart some stuff under the dash?
I wonder if I could just grab some drain-o and drop it in the outside vents. It doesn't sound like a good idea though...

Any help is appreciated. I know a decent amount about cars but nothing about her Cavalier and I don't even have the manual for her car.

Thanks, all help is much appreciated.

-John
90 Talon TSi AWD
95 Miata

Re: Leak/drip under dash
Thursday, December 22, 2005 4:58 PM
thats pretty weird. Id say its coming from the door or door seals id pop off the a pillars and see if u see any rust ect

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:24 PM
i meant ROOF or doors.. i dont kno nay about verts tho if they have som kind of molding ect i would imagine they do id just check that all out do u notice any puddles of water ect?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:43 PM
nope its the heater core has gone out. gotta pull the dash out to replace it. believe me i just got done doin 1 @ work with the same syptoms you just listed.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:54 PM
Ok, what do I need to replace (the whole core?) and how much would that cost in parts?

I've done an engine swap, clutchs, transmissions and all that other stuff, I should be able to do her heater core.

Any good manual/book I should pickup before I dig into it?

I assume it's fine for her to drive around like it is, just a bit of leaky water =P
Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:28 PM
most likely what he said BUT there is a small chance your evaporator for your A/C, drain hose is plugged to and all the moisture is built up in there and formed a pudle which is leaking out to but youll see that when you get into the heater core to

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, December 23, 2005 2:34 PM
if its heatercore you will see coolant dripping if its fluid like water its ur plenum drain clogged just take a air gun and blow up the drain but watch out u'll get soaked if u stay under there.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search