3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to
Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:03 AM
Myles wrote:im having a VERY hard time finding a complete wiring harness for a 5 speed. Is it possible to get one for an automatic and use wires from the 5 speed? When I got my trans they have all the wires connected, but they are cut after a foot of wiring.

Yes you can. In fact you can ru a auto ECU on a manaul car. It will throw a code because it does not see the auto tranny, but the car will function and drive.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:46 PM
pj is a genius

Friday, April 06, 2007 3:17 PM
so.. is this going to be stickied?

Friday, April 06, 2007 3:31 PM
even though i'll never do it because i love my pushrods too much, i vote sticky.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, April 06, 2007 9:57 PM
There is some good stuff in the forums that need to be stickied, this one and the 2.3 oil pump swap thread
Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:15 PM
Im curious pj...with the little rubbr line you had to add between the fuel rail and main lines..why was that? you cant clip the eco whips to the main lines? phil
Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:33 PM
the OHV fuel rail has that line welded to it. There is no push-connector. So you have to cut the line off the rail, then use a fuel injector hose clamp to hold it on

...or buy the eco fuel line ahead of time. both works but the eco fuel line is a lot safer

Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:11 PM
Ok i have the 99 up lines..and the eco whips that go from the eco rail..that what you mean?
Monday, April 09, 2007 8:56 AM
Philly D wrote:Ok i have the 99 up lines..and the eco whips that go from the eco rail..that what you mean?

Let me see if I can help. Here is a picture of a Ecotec fuel lines (the black part will remove from the lines)

On your 2200 motor that line is welded to the fuel rail and does not comes off. As PJ said you can cut it and use hose clamps to connect to the Ecotec fuel rail. Hose clamps can leak. The safe way is to get the line (black part in the picture). Hope this helps.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:08 AM
Thank you that does help..i have those lines..i was more worried about the hard lines to the tank..i have a99 so ihave a bastard year..meaning i have the same as 2000's but with the canister in the back but the metal tank...i was just making sure i didnt need to get the hard lines to the rear.phil
Monday, April 09, 2007 6:54 PM
Philly D wrote:Thank you that does help..i have those lines..i was more worried about the hard lines to the tank..i have a99 so ihave a bastard year..meaning i have the same as 2000's but with the canister in the back but the metal tank...i was just making sure i didnt need to get the hard lines to the rear.phil

If your canister is in the rear you should be good on the metal lines then.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:19 AM
yup mine is in the rear..sweet..
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:23 AM
Acually here is another question..ive heard conflicting stories about the cv shafts. Mine is obviously an isuzu 5spd. Do i need the drivers side cv shaft from a getrag or will my isuxu shafts work?
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:19 AM
STICKY!!!

Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:24 PM
Im doing this swap now. I think I need to get a new PS assembly. Since the eco's is cam driven, and the 2200 is pulley driven. So far the hardest part of the swap was getting the rad/heater hoses off!

Motor is going in tomorrow. I don't really know what im going into, but ill find out tomorrow. Im hoping to get the car started tomorrow. Gotta drop the motor/trans in, connect the heater core hoses, install the rad, figure out the hose situation.

I ran into a big of a snag, we had to rent a 30mm socket from crappy tire, and we needed the chains for the crane, so we had to go to crappy tire to make one. Didnt get the motor out until 6:00. but its out, most of the work is done, now getting everything back together.

Then the TTR tranny mounts, man it was fun installing those with only a small vice, took us 30 mins but we got them.

I left the exhaust as it was, its all welded, no flange at the cat, and i got no power tools for cutting available so the muffler shop can deal with it. Im not sure if ill need a new o2 sensor or if my 2200 one will work.

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:43 PM
Ok I got the motor in, most of the wires connected and I do need a new power steering assembly. I am also gonna pick up some eco rad hoses, and heater core lines if they are dirty cheap, otherwise ill get my 2200 ones to work.

The 2 wires i dont know what they are 1 is a really really long wire, and its only the 1 connector on it, its blue with 2 prongs. the other one is 4 prong, next to the one that connects inbetween the heater core. any ideas?

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Monday, April 16, 2007 5:17 PM
The 4 prong is your downstream o2, not too sure of the other one.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 10:34 PM
Got the motor running. sounds great. its dam loud though. gotta get the exhaust done.

few things to do tomorrow, hook up the rad, fill up with coolant, extend my ps line, put some ps fluid in, intall intake, reattach brake&abs module to firewall. start it, leave it on idle, get it to idle properly if needed, check for leaks, then out for a small test drive if its all good.

im gonna granny drive it for around 200kms, change oil, change trans fluid. i thought the syncrocomesh was supposed to be used in the trans, found out its not. if its a problem ill change it asap.

This swap was incredibly easy. The troubleshooting was the hardest and most frustrating part of it, but of course it was always the most simple fix (crank fuse wasnt in, 8 month old spark plugs wouldnt work lmao, header wasnt on so it didnt want to start.) If I would have had an eco rad & hoses, eco heater core hoses, eco fuel return line things would have been easier.

The fuel return line does not need to be cut. You will see where it connects on the 2200 and theres an insert for it, and tabs inside of it, undo the tabs and it will pull out.

Hopefully ill hit the track in a few weeks after its running the way I want it and all broken in.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:59 PM
Vote sticky!!!

Saturday, May 05, 2007 4:08 AM

Monday, May 07, 2007 3:14 PM
only real hard part i agree is the troubleshooting, only real problems i had with my swap was some bad sensors i had to replace. or missing connections that had got butsted when the motor had been removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 1:55 PM
Didn't see a lot of mention about the clutches. Are the 2200 clutch and PP interchangeable? You recommended upgrading it, but didn't mention if they would work.

Reason why I asked is right before more LN2 took a dive I put on a Spec stage 3 ceramic clutch. I know the trans are the same except the bolt pattern, but will it bolt up or do I need an Eco flywheel and clutch?

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:02 PM
Not sure about the clutches or flywheels. I know the transmission is the same, but different bellhousing. When I get my new clutch in ill compare that to my 2200 clutch.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:54 PM
The clutches between the 2200, 2.4 and Ecotec are not the same, and flywheels are not either.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:42 PM
Crap! Got to buy a new clutch again. Just bought this one for my 2200.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search