3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:36 AM
its very similar to the 3400 but its not as easy as splicing you have to make sure your ignition positives aren't overloading a circuit and so on

requires you have the schematics for both cars

JBO since July 30, 2001

Friday, February 06, 2009 2:13 PM
Who does stickys around here i messaged Dave about it, is there anyone else who stickys this stuff

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, February 06, 2009 2:41 PM
If you messaged Dave, and he didn't sticky it, it will not get stickied.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:58 AM
i sent an email through the contacts link whats daves Username i forget his last name and theres a tonne of daves, might try an message him direct

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:38 AM
bump for those that can't use the search function

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:11 PM
STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STIC KY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!S TICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICK Y!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!ST ICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!

Life is to short 4 bulls#*$.
Willpower is no match 4 horsepower!
Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:03 AM
up to the top

Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:15 AM
Sticky! Nice write up

Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:24 PM
sticky, please! man just finishing my 3400/megasquirt swap and now you throw this at me.... I love it! time to shove the lt1 camaro out of the garage and in goes the 2001 cav!!!!!!!!
Monday, May 18, 2009 7:12 AM
why isnt this bish stickied yet?

Monday, May 18, 2009 7:44 AM
because the sticky gods haven't stickied anthing lately theres 3 post i can think of off the top of my head that should be stickied

JBO since July 30, 2001

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:27 PM
Me too. Is there a dance we should do or something? Sacrifice a virgin to appease the sticky gods?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:05 AM
BUMP.
Just picked up an olds with an L67 today and found this very helpfull at giving me a good idea what i'm getting myslef into.
I cant wait!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:55 AM
I have a question for anyone who has dont this swap that could benifiet this FAQ cause I cant find the answer anywhere.

I plan to use the entire harness out of my L67 parts car but the one concern I have is the car (and all L67's to my knowledge) came with the 4t60-e. Would I run into issues if i swaped to a 5 speed? I'm guessing the ECU might throw a fit if its not recieving anything from the electronically controlled tranny and not being able to shift it.
Is this an issue? and if so, how do I go about correcting it?
thanks

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:45 AM
well it depends on what year olds and i hope 96+ other wise you got a series one and its not near as impressive but besides that you are going to
need to have tuning done to remove the anti theft and auto trans settings

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:22 PM
Yeah, I think its a 98, I know for sure it s series 2.
Does the anti theft work on the olds the same way it works in a cavy? same ecu, cluster and key lock cylinder must be used. If thats the case cant I just use the olds clutser and key in the cavy? That would seem to be the easiest way, then i dont have to worry about my gauges not working and such.
The only part of the cavy harness I intent to use is for the lights and wipers.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:25 PM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Yeah, I think its a 98, I know for sure it s series 2.
Does the anti theft work on the olds the same way it works in a cavy? same ecu, cluster and key lock cylinder must be used. If thats the case cant I just use the olds clutser and key in the cavy? That would seem to be the easiest way, then i dont have to worry about my gauges not working and such.
The only part of the cavy harness I intent to use is for the lights and wipers.

98 is a good year

anti theft if you wire your cav as an olds you will need to get the VATS removed from the PCM or wire it as a 98 grand prix GTP and those PCM have no VATS its turn key your wiring might be the same might just have to swap out the PCM for a (98 GTP only 99 has theft and 97 is a messed up year)

you will have a dink of a timeif you only intend to use that part of the cav harness

if you want factory gauges you need to swap the interior dash harness to a 00-05 j body then using an 00-05 j body engine harness mate it to a 04 impala SS engine harness then you can run factory gauges there has been 1 person use the W (well his case C body) wiring through out and he had a lot of trouble shooting

do you research before setting you mine on this the harness isn't that hard to make if you understand an electrical diagram

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:34 PM
you can make stock gauges work i did it in my car i have 2 ecms one for the car and one for the engine and the 98 gtp works great thats what my ecm is flashed as

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:40 PM
yes oh do the piggy back method just more to wiring involved then the other way either way works but don't think its easier to just swap all the 98 olds wiring into a J body its not that easy and some things won't work and the olds gauges might not fit right in the j body dash then you will have to costomize that

theres 3 ways
piggy back the PCM J & W body PCMs and rung the stock 95-99 gauges
switch the interior harness to 2000+ and use the impala engine harness and PCM and run factory 00+ gauges
fawk the factory gauges and run all autometer like mine currently is

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:24 PM
i will say the piggyback was kind of a pain but as far as the amount spent it was very affordable

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:33 PM
Yeah I'm definatly still researching, there is a lot of junk and useless info around tho. I'm only concerned with wiring, everything else was covered pretty thorougly.
My theory was that swaping everything from the olds would be the easiest way since as long as I dont cut anything and give power to everything that had power then it should work fine.
I'm liking the idea of keeping my stock cluster tho and after some reading I'm thinking of keeping my 97 harness and piggy backing it. Just cause its what i already have and saves me hunting down and stripping two more entire harnesses.
How do i go about wiring this tho? I have no problem doing wiring I'm just not sure what needs to be done, what needs to be wired. I'm not looking for a step by step with colours and everything, thats what wiring diagrams are for. I just want a general overview of how this is going to work. I've been searching for this for 2 days now and I cant find anything other than people saying it has to be done.
Also few other quick questions:
Will the H body PCM throw a fit if i have a 5 speed? Will i get that 4k park/neutral limiter or anything?
And do you know if the the 98 GTP ECU will plug into my H body harness? Or does anyone have a pic of the plug in for the GTP ECU so I can compare to my olds?
I guess worst case i could always make an adaptor harness to use the GTP ecu with the olds wiring, but i'm hoping for plug and play with atleast one thing, haha
thanks guys

Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:19 PM
this link will help-- it is for fieros, but if you piggyback- you will be able to do it
fiero / l67 engine swap wiring

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I've been doing a lot of reading and looking over the wiring diagrams and it dosent look to complicated. Then that link kind of put me through a loop. it sounds like you're making your own harness....
From what I've gathered (before seeing that link) is I coudl swap the L67 harness and supply power to the fuse box's to power everything and the engine should run, right?

To get the gauges to work I need to split some wires to run to the cars stock ecu as well. The speedo, fuel gauge, temp and volts all seem easy. My concerns with the piggy back are getting the tach going when its expecting a 4 cyl signal and I'm giving it a 6 cyl signal, or should the tach wire come from the L67 ecu?
Also how does the cluster know when the car is running so it can shut off all the lights on the dash? I've read this is a common issue.
thanks

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:24 PM
arg, no edit button... thought I'd mention today i went and checked out my donar car and gave it a once over before bringing it home, turns out its a 96. Does it have a theift system being that old? It even has the old keys like the second gen cavys have.

Friday, June 05, 2009 8:28 AM
its still going to have anti theft you should really just get ahold of matt and go check out his car so you have an idea on the wiring

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search