Question about 3400 swap (not about how to do) - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about 3400 swap (not about how to do)
Friday, February 13, 2009 5:49 AM
Did all the research on here hopefull will be doing this swap in a month or so.Was debating between the 2.5,I have 98 cav 2200 5 speed.As I have read tranny will work,Ill need a cluth engine wiring ecu,Mounts and Fabracate a bracket or fewand a cluster?My question is about suspension and axles.Do you need to do anything with them?And do you need the Converter off the other car for exhaust thanks!Any tips would be helpful too!Would I be better off with a 2.4 swap or should i go ith this!

Re: Question about 3400 swap (not about how to do)
Friday, February 13, 2009 4:59 PM
Go with the 3400. The tranny stays the same and the axles do as well. Any more questions PM me.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Friday, February 13, 2009 6:07 PM
don't need the converter of th other car but just do a 2.25 exhaust with high flow cat your set

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, February 13, 2009 6:42 PM
Thanks a mill guys looking forward to this hopefully I can paint it afterwards if the funds are good! will Pm you nate if I get stuck won't be starting it probly till march

Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:21 PM
Dont be like all these other people that say there "gonna do it" JUST DO IT! Its great.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:54 PM
Nitrous Nate wrote:Dont be like all these other people that say there "gonna do it" JUST DO IT! Its great.

you get those too eh

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:45 PM
yeah I'm looking frward to it just not sure when in march its gunna begin,My truck just cost me 350 bucks so that took out of my engoine fund haha whats the worst part the wiring and comp?

Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:37 AM
wiring is the hardest part

2 options
convert your interior wiring and stuff to a 2000+ run an impala 3400 program on the PCM and then you can use the 2000 factory gauges

or

use 98 Oldsmobile silhouette PCM and do an autometer setup.
this option might cost a bit more money since the gauges aren't cheap but if you use the 98 PCM from a silhouette it has NO VATS where as the impala PCM will have to have that turned off, either way you will want HPTuners to remove the auto trans stuff

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:25 PM
awsome I priced everything from junkyards other day but they all cut the wiring harnesses around here,trying to find a smashed up car

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:30 PM
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:09 PM
That is a good part, and that seller is great to work with. I have purchased many things from him, and he's top notch.
He tends to have a lot of 3x00 parts. IIRC, that's who I got all of my NFW stuff and aluminum control arms from, too.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:16 PM
he's a great seller, and fast
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:17 PM
awsome,seems like that was going to be the hardest part to get,So he seems only to have the monte carlo 3400 wiring, Id need the Monte Carlo ECU but any 3400 would work right?Sorry if that sounds stupid a mechanic Haha,A retired mechanic is doing the swap for me down the road for me when I get everything Im gunna help him with what I can though. Thanks

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:10 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:wiring is the hardest part

2 options
convert your interior wiring and stuff to a 2000+ run an impala 3400 program on the PCM and then you can use the 2000 factory gauges

or

this option might cost a bit more money since the gauges aren't cheap but if you use the 98 PCM from a silhouette it has NO VATS where as the impala PCM will have to have that turned off, either way you will want HPTuners to remove the auto trans stuff

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but is that right? Can you get the PCM from a Silouette and run aftermarket guages? No Theft or manual transmission issues?
Monday, August 23, 2010 3:54 AM
if u get a 98- pcm i belive it dosent have passlock and thats why its recomended. using that the motor should run but would be way beter with a tune for manual trans and wat not.
Monday, August 23, 2010 5:23 AM
davedmp wrote:Sorry to bring this from the dead, but is that right? Can you get the PCM from a Silouette and run aftermarket guages? No Theft or manual transmission issues?
You can pretty much use any 3100/3400 PCM you want if your'e going to run aftermarket gauges, and you're using the 5-speed. You will have to use HPT to turn off the auto transmission codes, so you can turn off the VATS (Passkey) system at the same time. If you want to use an auto trans, you have to make sure you either swap your transmission out, or use a 96-98 Grand Am PCM, because that uses the same transmission as the J-body does (4-speed, not 3-speed).

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:56 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:wiring is the hardest part

2 options

or

F*CK all that.
For a manual transmission car doing the swap. Keep the stock PCM and electronics and piggy back in a Megasquirt. Save time, money, and effort.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:50 PM
The harness for my engine is separate from my body harness.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:51 PM
i love how someone who has done an engine swap posts what to do and someone turns around is that true will it work

YES IT WILL WORK I WOULDN'T SAY IT WOULD IF IT DIDN'T GEEZE

theres so many ways of doin it. i started my 3800 up with a 3400 silhouette PCM cause i had theft issues shut it off right away after it ran cause the crank sensors are different 1 is 18X 1 is 24X but thats cause all i had was that PCM ps for the note car did run hoibly when doin that. don't do it unless you know what yoru doin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search