3800 swap trans question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 swap trans question
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:25 PM
I have a 95 cav with a 2.2 in it and i am thinking about doing a swap in it and i was wondering if the 3800 would bult up to my 5 speed trans. i have looked on here and i know they have swapped the motor in but i didn't see anyone talking about the trans end of the deal. I can fab up mounts and stuff for it thats not a prob but i wanna keep the 5 speed so i don't have to buy custom shafts. If it dosen't bolt up i'll just do a 3400 swap. thanks

Re: 3800 swap trans question
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:33 PM
No, 2000-2002 Getrag from a 2.2L..... yours will not work.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:35 PM
is that a manual trans and would that still use the same shafts or would i have to get custom ones made? Thanks
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:16 PM
Isaak wrote:No, 2000-2002 Getrag from a 2.2L..... yours will not work.

The Isuzu will work. Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about. This keeps happening in these V6 swap questions.

The 3800, like the 2.8, 3.1, 3100, 3400, and 3500, will bolt to the OHV 4 cylinder trannies. The thing about the 3800 is that you need to have the flywheel machined down, because it's too thick for the FWD trannies.

Now, in stock form, the Getrag is stronger. However, you can build an Isuzu using actual Isuzu parts, and it will kick the ass of the Getrag.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:32 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

The Isuzu will work. Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about. This keeps happening in these V6 swap questions.

The 3800, like the 2.8, 3.1, 3100, 3400, and 3500, will bolt to the OHV 4 cylinder trannies. The thing about the 3800 is that you need to have the flywheel machined down, because it's too thick for the FWD trannies.

Now, in stock form, the Getrag is stronger. However, you can build an Isuzu using actual Isuzu parts, and it will kick the ass of the Getrag.

I don't know what I am talking about? Then how the hell did I ever get a 3800 in my car? Let me rephrase my above statement.... it will fit, but don't waste your time because it will break into a million pieces as soon as you mash onto the gas.

better? jeesh.

Quiklilcav wrote:

The thing about the 3800 is that you need to have the flywheel machined down, because it's too thick for the FWD trannies.

What flywheel are you talking about here? Who doesn't know what they are talking about?

The flywheel needed is from a 3.8L powered Camaro or Firebird (manual of course) and have it machined down to .84.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:45 PM

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:56 PM
just keep the 2.2 its way more capable

my kill list:a geo metro and a mac semi wow did i kill that thing
Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:03 AM
Isaak wrote:What flywheel are you talking about here? Who doesn't know what they are talking about?

The flywheel needed is from a 3.8L powered Camaro or Firebird (manual of course) and have it machined down to .84.

They don't make a flywheel for a FWD 3800, so yes, the F-body. If you've read any of the swap threads, you would know that I completely understand all of the V6 swaps.

And every thread has people posting sh!t that they don't know, because they heard something that they misunderstood. I can't count the number of times I've had to correct a post about the tranny. If you don't want to be mistaken for one of them, clarify your statements better. Simply saying "your tranny won't work" puts you in that category.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:51 AM
so it will work with the machined flywheel but will blow to pieces stock. How much would it cost to put the better parts in it vs. buying the other trans? and where would you get the parts from? and thanks everyone again for the help!
Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:13 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
Isaak wrote:What flywheel are you talking about here? Who doesn't know what they are talking about?

They don't make a flywheel for a FWD 3800, so yes, the F-body. If you've read any of the swap threads, you would know that I completely understand all of the V6 swaps.

And every thread has people posting sh!t that they don't know, because they heard something that they misunderstood. I can't count the number of times I've had to correct a post about the tranny. If you don't want to be mistaken for one of them, clarify your statements better. Simply saying "your tranny won't work" puts you in that category.

Wow, I bow down before you oh know it all one.

Okay not really.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:15 AM
The 2.2L Isuzu trans WILL WORK (Is that better Quiklilcav?) but won't last long at all. I do not know how much it would cost to build it up but I have purchased these Getrags for as low as $250 with very low milage. So the best option available is the Getrag, best option also being the easiest.

You better ask Quiklilcav his opinion first because I apparently know very little.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:39 AM
so its a 2000-2002 cav's do you know if they were in anything else. I agree it would prob. be way easier and i'm guessing you still need the flywheel from the f body and have it machined still. Also do they take the same axle shafts or do i have to get custom ones? thanks again

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:48 AM
Yes 00-02 jbodies and I am not sure on others, I have only gotten them from a jbody. Driver side axle is the same, but passenger you will need 00+, the older (95-99) will fit, but length is incorrect.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:53 AM
thats cool i just didn't want to have to have anything custom made cause that gets expensive but if the newer ones work then its all good thanks again
Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:37 AM
all i have to say is you onviously lack the ablility to search thus meanign this swap is way over your head because i made a post that spelled it all out for people and you obviously couldn't find it the funny thing is i posted it in the 3rd gen section i bet you its on page to maybe 3 now.

95-99 will work yes but wont hold up
00-02 2200 trans will bolt up and hold up you have to use a camero flywheel and have it machined down. (hard to find atleast in canada)

what ever 5spd trans you use use those shaft, likely gonna have to remove the rubber weight as it may rub on the oil filter housing. but yeah if you can't find out WHAT TRANS TO USE your dreaming but cause that info is everywhere.

youdon't wanna have anything custom made eh better put a 2.3 in because the 3800 everythings is pretty much ciustom made seriously SEARCH its not an easy swap you have to measure and level everything

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:39 AM
there i bumped it to page 1 it was part way down page 3

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, April 02, 2009 2:18 PM
i have tried the search feature and it brings up every single post anybody has written in the thread. not very usefull at all unless you have time to look through 500 pages from the same post before you come to the next thread. i'm sorry i haven't messed around much with these cars but there is only one way to learn and thats by asking for some help. i was looking to see the best way to do this and trying not to make custom shafts cause they would be really expensive i know you have to make some things yourself and thats not a problem. anyways just because i might not know what trans. i need to use doesn't mean i lack the ability to do the swap. since we have built cars that will leave your car sitting at the line in the dust with wheels hanging in the air. .But it must be over my head since we have 4 linked drag cars that require more fabrication than this. but i guess 6.50 in the 1/8th mile might not be fast enough for you i guess. thanks though you may have just pissed me off enough to build it with a small block chevy v 8 maybe that will be custom enough for you, i guarantee it will be way faster than yours pal! thanks for the help with moving the swap though i appreciate it.
Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:42 PM
Isaak wrote:The 2.2L Isuzu trans WILL WORK (Is that better Quiklilcav?) but won't last long at all. I do not know how much it would cost to build it up but I have purchased these Getrags for as low as $250 with very low milage. So the best option available is the Getrag, best option also being the easiest.

You better ask Quiklilcav his opinion first because I apparently know very little.

Actually you're wrong again.

The 3400, believe it or not makes a bit more torque than the 3800 (not exactly sure how/why this is though) to the tune of about 20ft/lbs. Though its listed to make about 20 or so less hp (probably has to do with cams). Heavily abused, I haven't broken my Isuzu yet. So I would try again on your believe that the 3800 will instantly break that Isuzu.

www.gmscf.com
Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:46 PM
Hmm..... Apparently it's going to depend on what the 3800 comes from? I ran specs on a 99 GPGT, and for some reason the Coupe has 225 ft/lbs, and the Sedan only has 185? Lame.

At either rate, I still make enough power to rival that, and he won't "instantly" break the Isuzu.

Good way not to, is not to sit and do burnouts with it. Because I quickly destroyed an Isuzu with a 2.2 by doing that.

www.gmscf.com
Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:46 PM
Isaak wrote:The 2.2L Isuzu trans WILL WORK (Is that better Quiklilcav?) but won't last long at all. I do not know how much it would cost to build it up but I have purchased these Getrags for as low as $250 with very low milage. So the best option available is the Getrag, best option also being the easiest.

Stop getting all butt-hurt because you made a BS post and were called on it. I haven't claimed I know everything, but when you post something like your first answer, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about, and as I stated, this happens all the time in these swap question threads, so people get a lot of misinformation. If you know what you're talking about, and want to help, take the time to post enough of an explaination so that people reading it get all the pertinent information.

As far as building the Isuzu, it's pretty easy. You need to get the original Isuzu parts, from something like an early 90's Geo Storm, or Isuzu Stylus (there are more, but those are the two I know off the top of my head). The differential is stronger, and the synchros are metal, instead of plastic. If you put these parts in, the tranny ends up being stronger than the Getrag. Guys have done this and beat the piss out of them with no problems.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:29 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Stop getting all butt-hurt because you made a BS post and were called on it. I haven't claimed I know everything, but when you post something like your first answer, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about, and as I stated, this happens all the time in these swap question threads, so people get a lot of misinformation. If you know what you're talking about, and want to help, take the time to post enough of an explaination so that people reading it get all the pertinent information.

As far as building the Isuzu, it's pretty easy. You need to get the original Isuzu parts, from something like an early 90's Geo Storm, or Isuzu Stylus (there are more, but those are the two I know off the top of my head). The differential is stronger, and the synchros are metal, instead of plastic. If you put these parts in, the tranny ends up being stronger than the Getrag. Guys have done this and beat the piss out of them with no problems.

Not butt-hurt as you claim... but have at it.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 6:22 PM
Quote:

The differential is stronger, and the synchros are metal, instead of plastic

They're also a 1-piece instead of a 2-piece.

PRO = You can slam them harder
CON = Harder more clunky shifts.

www.gmscf.com

Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:01 PM
SHOoff wrote:

Actually you're wrong again.

The 3400, believe it or not makes a bit more torque than the 3800 (not exactly sure how/why this is though) to the tune of about 20ft/lbs. Though its listed to make about 20 or so less hp (probably has to do with cams). Heavily abused, I haven't broken my Isuzu yet. So I would try again on your believe that the 3800 will instantly break that Isuzu.

Allrighty then...
Only the 3800 series I (1, based on the 3800, 89-93) makes that small amount of torque. Only the late model 3800 series II & III is ever used for performance. The 3800 is used in small to very large sedans because of its large torque output at idle. Even the supercharged 3800, when mildly modified, will uncontrolably spin both front tires in the rain or snow at idle, forcing you to ride the brake upto 40mph. Yes, I own one. I will, on occasion redlight race V8 Camaros & Corvettes (my only street competition), and WIN. : ) ZZperformance makes aluminum cylinder heads and holds some FWD world records. Check-out world records on their home page and tech-article section: https://www.zzperformance.com
Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:26 AM
please keept from bringing worthless topics back from the dead with another worthless topic we all know about ZZperformace, we also don't support redlight races as you call them take it to the track before you kill someone over something so stupid

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:01 AM
christophero1973 christophero1973 wrote:

Allrighty then...
Only the 3800 series I (1, based on the 3800, 89-93) makes that small amount of torque. Only the late model 3800 series II & III is ever used for performance. The 3800 is used in small to very large sedans because of its large torque output at idle. Even the supercharged 3800, when mildly modified, will uncontrolably spin both front tires in the rain or snow at idle, forcing you to ride the brake upto 40mph. Yes, I own one. I will, on occasion redlight race V8 Camaros & Corvettes (my only street competition), and WIN. : ) ZZperformance makes aluminum cylinder heads and holds some FWD world records. Check-out world records on their home page and tech-article section: https://www.zzperformance.com

Dude, seriously. You're a @!#$ idiot. I owned a "mildly modified" L67 car. Never once did I have to ride the brake up to 40mph or have much trouble in the rain or snow. Nor does anyone else here. Perhaps if you take away the gigantic vacuum leak that you have that's making yours idle at 5000rpm you wouldn't have that problem.

Also note, that the engine I was talking about that you tried to call BS on is the 3800 series II. You're also a moron for believing that all 3800's come with a supercharger.

Good job talking out your ass though.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, October 11, 2010 6:32 AM
i like where he says its used in smal to very large sedans the smallest car it came factory in is a grand prix and i HARDLY call that a small car

W bodys aren't small cars

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search