Wheels eating tires - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheels eating tires
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:48 PM
I have an 04 cavalier that came with 14's. I got some factory 16's and put them on there. They are wearing the outside of the tires out in 3-4k miles. I took it to a shop and they said there is no adjustment for them. They told me I need a camber kit to be able to adjust them ? Are they correct or is there an adjustment they don't know about ? What about people that own cavaliers that came with factory 16s ?

Re: Wheels eating tires
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:20 PM
fill out your profile! also are you lowered on anything? or just stock height? if your at stock height. those people you went to are VERY stupid. even with a full drop like mine i don't even need camber bolts. if anything you need an alignment.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:07 AM
azncav wrote:fill out your profile! also are you lowered on anything? or just stock height? if your at stock height. those people you went to are VERY stupid. even with a full drop like mine i don't even need camber bolts. if anything you need an alignment.

Sorry I should have put that. The car is all stock. They said they aligned it but I'm not even sure what they did.
Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:14 AM
An alignment is what you needed.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:09 PM
If you are wearing out just one edge of the tire then you have a BIG toe issue. Camber will not affect edge wear like that. Even at that you would have so much positive camber that the top of the tire would be sticking out a lot from the fender. Not even sure you could get it that far. I have never had to use camber bolts. Its called a carbide burr and an air motor. Slot the bolt holes in the strut and you are all set.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:38 PM
find a new alignment shop
Friday, July 02, 2010 9:50 PM
mitdr774 wrote: . Its called a carbide burr and an air motor. Slot the bolt holes in the strut and you are all set.

This is how they do it for factory 16 inch wheels ?
Saturday, July 03, 2010 10:01 AM
I am 2.5 inches lowered and on 18's, I have NO camber problems.

Find a new alignment shop.

To be honest, there shouldn't be any difference in suspension geometry going from 14's to 16's...there really isn't that much of a difference in overall size, as the the 16's probably have a smaller sidewall.

Sunday, July 04, 2010 1:04 PM
Outatime wrote:
mitdr774 wrote: . Its called a carbide burr and an air motor. Slot the bolt holes in the strut and you are all set.

This is how they do it for factory 16 inch wheels ?

Wheels do not affect alignment. I can use any size wheel I want and still be within spec on my alignment as long as I was in spec to begin with. Find a shop that knows what its doing and get a proper alignment done.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search