Electronic Mileage on J-bodies and other GM's? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electronic Mileage on J-bodies and other GM's?
Monday, June 14, 2010 7:45 PM
Ok....does the mileage on the sunfires and the newer cavaliers turn on when you open up the door? I'm wondering bc I am shopping around for a 2.4L and I would like to know what kind of mileage I'm dealing with lol. Or do I have to have a key in the ignition for the mileage to show up?

Re: Electronic Mileage on J-bodies and other GM's?
Monday, June 14, 2010 10:14 PM
not all years came with digital odometers. i think you have to have the key and turn it in the on position. i dont recall being able to push the reset bottom to show the current miles.

Monday, June 14, 2010 11:36 PM
I don't remember if it works on the 98 or 99's with digital odometers... but the 2000-05 model years, yes you can just hit the button and the mileage will appear. Doesn't come on with the driver's door though.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:51 AM
on the 00+, just hit the reset button once and it'll light up, regardless if the door is open or closed and if you have the key in or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:33 PM
well shopping for a car, id hope you would test drive it first and that involves starting the car with a key LOL i think you can check the miles with that

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:36 PM
I'm going to the u-pull it yard tomorrow looking for a used good 2.4 for a Z24 I'm buying. Along with the compression test I'd like to know the mileage.....I know the earlier cavy's like the 96 I looked at had regular odo's but I also know my sisters ls sport coupe has a electronic. she couldnt tell me if it just came on or not lol
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:22 PM
if you're going to a wrecking yard and are planning on being able to check mileage, don't forget to bring a battery with a full charge
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:22 PM
2000 + has mileage stored in the BCM

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:31 PM
Josh Cunningham wrote:if you're going to a wrecking yard and are planning on being able to check mileage, don't forget to bring a battery with a full charge

Exactly. 90% of cars have their battery taken out when they enter the yard.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:04 PM
where i live in canada, every car has to have the battery removed before entering a lot.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:13 PM
all you need is a jump box

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:16 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:all you need is a jump box

With a fully charged battery

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:34 AM
Viper98912 wrote:on the 00+, just hit the reset button once and it'll light up, regardless if the door is open or closed and if you have the key in or not.

Had no idea about this in my 02, lol.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:56 PM
98 malibu, slight front end damage. 85,xxx miles. $85 oh yeah
Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:45 PM
Luke Hoff wrote:98 malibu, slight front end damage. 85,xxx miles. $85 oh yeah

lucky ducky!

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:43 PM
Screw the battery, just bring an extension cord and a roll-around battery charger. Or solar panels and a deep cycle. Better yet, a piece of carpet and socks, a couple seconds of doing "the running man" and lick positive.

Sorry I'm bored. The jump box should give like a minute of charge to see the mileage wouldnt it?

Friday, July 02, 2010 9:14 PM
irishbred . wrote:Screw the battery, just bring an extension cord and a roll-around battery charger. Or solar panels and a deep cycle. Better yet, a piece of carpet and socks, a couple seconds of doing "the running man" and lick positive.

Sorry I'm bored. The jump box should give like a minute of charge to see the mileage wouldnt it?

Sorry I lol'd at that bc I can see someone with a piece of carpet doing the runnig man, licking the positive while holding the negative and saying "DID IT COME UP??????" lmfao

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search