1996 5-speed shift cables???? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 5-speed shift cables????
Monday, July 05, 2010 8:48 AM
so I have a 5-speed that i cant hardly shift anymore, and have herd that the shift cables are prone to failure, my question is what are the symptoms of this? my 3400 supercharged cav is about ready for the track, but i need to be able to shift it faster than a dump truck lol.

3400 Ported m62 megasquirt.......gota love it

Re: 1996 5-speed shift cables????
Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:07 AM
How much clutch fluid you got left? From my experience the shift cables work fine til they break. It gets hard to shift when you're losing the slave cylinder, and thus all your clutch fluid. If you do need new cables, I believe you'll want the 2.4L cables because they have the heat wrap on them, for the exhaust coming off the rear.

Have fun shifting faster than a dump truck in that Isuzu transmission.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:03 AM
One of the shift cables in my car went bad once but did not break completely. It was very tricky to get it in gear and I had to do it very gently. If I didn't pull it into gear just right the frayed end of the cable wouldn't move the gear selector on the transmission (would only compress the metal strings in the cable itself) and I could feel it sort of 'slip'. It was only for 3 of the gears however because only one cable was like this, that may be a good indication it's in the cables.

However now my slave cylinder is going, which is very different feeling. It will grind gears a lot unless I pump the clutch really quick and shift immedietely after. Also, the fluid leaks out very quickly in mine, see if you can see fluid leaking out of the opening at the bottom of your transmission or somewhere else in the system. If it's in all the gears odds are it's a hydraulic issue IMO.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:23 AM
just disconnect the cables from the trans and go move your lever, if its still hard to move its the cables. Also check the cable jackets near the down pipe, my last set got hot a melted the jackets on them. I was hard to shift till they got hot again ant the melted plastic got soft again.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:00 AM
Check the actual mechanism on top of the tranny where the cables attach. That can wear out so that the parts no longer slide smoothly, and can jam up. It bolts to the top of the tranny with 4 bolts. You can replace it very easily, but it's not a cheap part. The only cheap solution is to see if you can score a tranny from a yard with a good one you can swap over. Mine needs just the verticle shaft, and that's over $100. I had gone into the dealership figuring on spending around that for the entire unit.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:30 AM
thanks guys ill check those things

3400 Ported m62 megasquirt.......gota love it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search