car starts then dies immediately - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car starts then dies immediately
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:08 PM
Hey folks

I know this is not the usual type of post for this site, but I need your help. I am building a demolition derby car out of a 1999 sunfire. The car turns over and catches, but will not stay running. here are the details.

I drove the car to my house a month ago with no problems. I tried to get it running today, but no go. The computer has been moved to the top of the dash, but all the wires are intact and correctly placed. I did unplug the computer before I moved it though. The top of the dash is off, but the instrument cluster is still plugged in. I covered the top of the cluster with rubber mats, so no water has made its way in. Same with the computer. All of the fuses that are not needed, i.e. radio, heater etc. have been removed. The airbag system has been completely removed. The fuel pump I am using is not the stock pump, but seems to be making enough pressure. I do not have a pressure tester to verify it is in spec, but there seems to be plenty opff pressure. There is a return line to the tank as well. I have the grey wire running to the pump like it would in stock form, and the pump does prime for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to run. When it cranks, it catches, but will not hold running. If I try to start it again without moving the key back to the off position, it keeps cranking and will not catch. If I turn the key to the off position, and then try to start it, it will catch, but will not hold running.

I am leaning toward a possible crank sensor problem, but I have not tested it All I have is the haynes manual which does not tell how to test it. I also am not a hundred percent sure of what it looks like. I found two sensors in the block, but I o not know which is the crank sensor and which is the knock sensor. I do not have a shop scanner, only a small handheld scanner that will not read anything or power up. Probably because a lot of fuses are out of the car. Let me know what you think and what I can do to get it running. I am a competent home mechanic with decent knowledge of cars, so feel free to be technical.

Thank you for the help

Re: car starts then dies immediately
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:00 PM
Here try this. When U turn on the car, press the accelerator down to the floor, will it stay running while reving it?? If it stays running when that happens, its ur IAC solenoid on the throttle body. If it dont work even with that, then you may have lost the programming to the security system and may have to reprogram it. Best bet is to read the sticky for the HOW TO on that. Also, after the car dies out, get out and press the shrader valve on the fuel line (but dont turn the key off leave it in the run position as to not reset anything). Does anything come out hard, or does it trickle?? If nothing comes out or its just a very small trickle, then ur fuel pump isnt working the way it should. Maybe thats the reason the car starts and dies right away and it wont start until you reset the key and make it prime. Goodluck!!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:17 PM
no, I tried to keep it running with the accelerator, both b feathering the throttle and by flooring it. Didn't work for either. I'm afrai it might be the theft system but I cannot be sure. Any other ideas? I will try the fuel thing, but I think I checked that today. I will have to check it again tomorrow just to be sure.

Please keep the ideas coming. I need help fast.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:57 PM
try this.

also; replace the cig/dlc fuse and you'll regain power to the OBD-II port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:59 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:15 AM
Thank you very much for the help. I got it running.

It turns out it was a combination of things: My brother was the one who stripped the car down for the derby. He's used to taking apart older cars and didn't realize that a lot of electronics must be kept in for the newer ones to run. He had taken out the fuse for the instrument cluster (as well as the diagnostic fuse). After I replaced the fuse for the cluster, I was able to do the passlock relearn procedure that is described on this forum. Running like a top now.

I always turn to automotive forums whenever I have a problem with one of my cars. Thanks to everyone for keeping forums like this one going.

Andrew Ovens

(By the way, if anyone wants to watch a 99 sunfire in a demo derby, I am running it on September 11 in Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada at the fall fair.)
Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:51 PM
Hey glad we could help!! I forgot about the fuse for the cluster, duh lol. Too bad ur gonna destroy a J but hell, it should be alot of fun!!! Be safe, and GET VIDS!!!

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:41 PM
Quote:

I know this is not the usual type of post for this site, but I need your help. I am building a demolition derby car out of a 1999 sunfire. The car turns over and catches, but will not stay running. here are the details.

Actually, if you search you'll find out that this question is the usual for this site.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search