Radiator and A/C issues - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radiator and A/C issues
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:54 PM
OK here is the problems.... its for a 2000 Z24 Auto Convertible

I been having problems with my A/C .. the A/C shop replaced the the compressor and afterward a hose that was leaking thru one of the "ports" near the radiator, not the one by the side of the motor mount. Anyways. The problem is that when Idling at a stop light or just parked at the driveway the car would start to overheat going past the 195 mark and the A/C would start to blow warm/hot air. As soon as I get up to the freeway its starts to blow nice cold air. When parked The compressor starts to cycle on and off (it doesnt need to happen) and the FAN does not turn on when a/c is on. I can turn on the blower in all 4 speeds.

Things I have checked are :

All Fuses and I put a new Cooling Fan Relay.
I disconnected the ECT(engine coolant temperature) sensor by the thermostat (yellow/black wired). For about 5 seconds and the fan Did NOT turn on. What does this mean?
Coolant is full.

Im leaning more toward the Fan Motor is on its last legs... should I change only the motor??? any HOW-TO's to change it?

I haven't checked the fan running it direclty or bypassing it with a switch to see if it works..

So Any IDEAS of what could it be.... I been reading about A/C problems for about 6hrs.

So things that could be wrong are these.

Thermostat
ECT sensor
Fan Motor
Relays or Fuses
Low Refrigerant R-134 (leaking somewhere)

Anything else?

Re: Radiator and A/C issues
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:08 AM
If the fan doesn't turn on, you probably have low refrigerant pressure. That would explain the blowing hot air...

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:20 AM
even if it blows Cold air when moving on the freeway or over 30mph?
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:41 PM
OK now it is fixed.. I just replace the MOTOR FAN... (just the motor of the cooling fan) THANKS ANYWAYS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search