LD9 bottom end noise - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 bottom end noise
Friday, August 20, 2010 9:04 PM
Let me start this off with.... 01 Z24 150k miles, durablend or max life 5w30 religious oil changes its whole life. Oil level always maintained properly and very well cared for car.

Car was supercharged/ automatic around 2 months ago I flushed the engine/ switched to amsoil 0w30, and about a month ago I swapped it to a 5 speed and turbo'ed it. I have been driving the car for a few weeks and its been perfect, I had it at the bash and it had zero problems( except for traction) but thats another story. A couple days ago I noticed it was starting to get a little knock to it, which concerned me with the #3 rod bearing issue they have. I know what rod knock sounds like and I would have put money on thats what it was, consistent and goes up with rpm sounded like cyl 3 or 4 area. So I added lucas synthetic oil stabilizer to it and no improvement so I figured the bearings were just too far gone. Oil is clean and I have good/ steady oil pressure also.

Pulled the pan off and checked all the rod bearings( fine), checked mains( fine), wiggled the rods to check wrist pins( fine), held flywheel and turned crank to check flywheel bolts( fine). The only thing that I can think of is the balance shafts have excessive wear but I have never heard of this issue from anyone before. I plan on tearing the balance shaft housing apart tomorrow and checking the bearings and clearances but I was just looking for any other ideas.

Re: LD9 bottom end noise
Friday, August 20, 2010 10:34 PM
i know my ac compressor made a clicking sound that sounded like it came from the bottom noticed when i deleted my ac
Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:12 AM
No ac compressor on the car. I have had my stethoscope out and its definitely something in the engine.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:56 PM
hmm just a thought maybe lifters?

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:50 PM
I thought about that but I can definitely tell its in the block/ oil pan area not head. Its a knock, not a lifter tick. The worst part is that all the internals and bearings are good and the only thing I haven't checked out is the balance shaft assembly. Once I tear it apart I am hoping that its just torn up bad inside and thats the issue. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:52 PM
sometimes LD9s have wrist pin issues.... definitely look into that.

the good thing is at least now you can swap to some clevite 77 bearings and increase the life of the crank some more!

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:07 PM
When I had the bottom end apart I pushed the rods up off the crank to check the wrist pins and they didnt have any play. I lubed up the bearings and stuck everything back together. I am not gonna spend $150 bucks on bearings for this motor. I am building a motor so this only has to last til its done. I still have the noise, I am gonna throw in some thicker oil and see if it helps. Might be a lifter not pumping up but it sounds lower than that and more solid but.......

Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:31 PM
the 2.4 lifter is more of a spacer it doesn't pump up like a tradition lifter its more of a guide for the cam to hit insted of hitting the valve direct

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:41 PM
They are definitely hydraulic and while they arent like most lifters they still do pump up and cushion the valvetrain. It really doesnt matter to me what the problem is because if different oil doesnt fix it then its getting driven til it blows up.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:04 PM
i would just drive it its an LD9 if it blows up and your not ready for the new one to go in just buy another one for a 200 and drop it in

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 29, 2010 4:07 PM
wrist pin fail

left me an awsome groove.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 4:33 PM
^Wow definitely dont have that going on lol. Thats some carnage there. Something that I want to point out for those speculating on my issue still is that it runs great. I am not having any performance or driveability issues its just a little noise.

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:43 PM
After rebuilding my girls engine, the number 3 is still tapping/knocking but nothing bad. Which will do for now till I get the money for her Ecotec swap coming after taxes but goodluck, if u figure it out lmk bc im interested

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:12 PM
Im still messing with it a little. I swapped out the 0w-30 for conventional 10w-30 I had laying around and no major difference. I am gonna add a quart of the regular lucas stabilizer and hope it just needed thickened up. I may very well be a lifter and if the lucas helps or fixes it that will make me happy. I am past the point of worrying about it blowing up and the more I probe around with the stethoscope the better I feel about it but it still bothers me.

On a side note I am going to pick up my struts tomorrow so I will be lowered this week or next and get it back to the track to see how far I can get my times down.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:22 AM
this is what happens when a wrist pin retainer comes out (misinformation and apparently I was supposed to use two per side).

Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:30 AM
I dont think its a wrist pin. I looked up in the cylinders when I had it apart and I didnt see any marks or scuffing inside the cylinder walls.

Monday, September 06, 2010 11:12 AM
Last week I drained the amsoil out and put in some castrol 10w30 I had sittin around. Didnt really get any better so today I added some lucas to it and its still making the noise. I am supposed to be getting a beater in the next couple weeks so when I get it I am gonna pull the head off my car and have a look.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search