Tail light question. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tail light question.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:39 PM
So earlier today i noticed my left signal light (in the car) flashing extremely fast. So i checked my signals and my rear signal isn't flashing, but the tail light works, not sure about the brake light. Could this be the bulb or could i be looking at something a little more serious than a simple bulb.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.

Re: Tail light question.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:44 PM
Its a two stage bulb,( I mean it has two elements) it may be blown out. Try a bulb first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:47 PM

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:56 PM
ok thanks, i'm going on a road trip in a couple days and the local authorities don't seem to really care but the RCMP don't like to let people any slack. So hopefully it works.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:51 PM
The brake light is out if the rears the one not flashing. Replace the bulb should fix the issue. 3157 is the part number. also, if your bulb is good, and you wiggle it and it works, you may need to clean out the connector. I know the gunk GM puts into the damn connectors actually mess it up after years of use. Goodluck!!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:43 PM
It may just be the bulb, but on both my and my sisters cavs(both 03) i had to replace the sockets. Had to replace both of them on my car, only one on hers. If i remember right the socket was only about 9 bucks and it came with a new bulb.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:58 PM
swap the socket with a reverse bulb/socket problem solved lol

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:32 AM
Ok, so i bought some new bulbs here earlier today, and shortly after i was going somewhere else and it began working again and i did not replace the bulb yet. Could that be caused by the connector or the socket?

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:44 AM
Sounds like the socket, get some bulb grease in there it should help you out.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:11 PM
or a bad bulb still..... take the bulb out, hold the connector end with one hand and flick the bulb softer with the other if you see any of the elements shaking its bad. ive seen a bulb blow just barely good enough to work randomly

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:32 PM
It started working a couple minutes after i bought the new ones lol. But ya ill check it tomorrow.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:11 PM
Mine had did the same thing a few weeks ago, one blinker quite working, and started making it blink fast. So i went to the store to buy some, and come out and its been working since!

Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:57 PM
mine's been working on and off. Kind of random. Didn't get a chance to check today due to the rain (dont have a garage).

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Friday, October 01, 2010 12:11 AM
Since you've already bought the new bulb just put it in. If the problem continues then its something else (socket would be the next thing to check).
Saturday, October 02, 2010 3:34 AM
Bulb did fix it, finally got it in last night in the 5 minutes the rain held off, did it in a McDonald's parking lot, lol. Wasn't exactly a difficult fix.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search