wierd engine problem - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wierd engine problem
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:26 PM
ok 2 weeks ago i swapped my 2200 and isuzu 5spd for a low km 2200 and a getrag 5spd out of an 01 sunfire, i never got around to actually driving it till this monday, the trans is perfect, it shift good no grinding or anything, but the engine is my problem, it idles around 800rpms, sounds like it has an agressive cam, and puffs black smoke out my exhaust, now i figure its dumping more gas into the eninge than it can burn, only because when it sits and idles for any amount of time the ground around my muffler gets moist and smells like gas, when im driving normally it bogs, when i come up to a stop light or stop sign, it stalls when i push the clutch in, but when i floor it, it goes like it doesnt have anything wrong with it, any ideas as to what is wrong?

Re: wierd engine problem
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:32 PM
Did you accidently pinch off or bend the return line for the fuel? This would cause excessive pressure in the fuel rail.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:37 PM
nope, we checked everything, there no lines kinked or pinched that we can see or find easily, its pissing me off lol, burnt half a tank of gas today and barely drove anywhere

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:40 PM
i dont know if my old engine having EGR gear and the new engone not having EGR would make a difference

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:07 PM
It could affect the computer by quite a bit because it's looking for the EGR system.

Almost sounds to me like you've got an injector that's stuck open or something. That, and you should have an engine light on for the system being too rich, in theory anyways.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:19 PM
well alot of my friends have removed their EGR's on their cars, but none of them have a jbody either, i dont know a whole lot about the electronics of these cars, but i doubt i could use a computer from a newer car without EGR with my wiring would i?

i was also told by the mechanic up the road that the coolant temp sensor in the block could also cause a problem like this if its shot, that true?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:08 PM
You could use a newer computer.

Problem is that you're puffing black smoke. The computer shouldn't be dumping that much fuel to puff black smoke at idle, even in the worst of conditions. To get my Meqasquirt unit to do that I have to really crank it up.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:48 PM
well i put more gas in it just now, it runs a little smoother for some reason, and i forgot to mention that ALOT of antifreeze got dumped into my exhaust during the swap, and was told that it could have clogged my cat converter and fouled my O2 sensor back there, and ill have to try a newer computer, i can probly get one for $25 at the junkyard

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:37 PM
ok, me and my father sat down and thought it through, were gonna cut the cat off it tomorow and see if its plugged up, because even though theres black smoke puffing out the exhaust, you can smell anything that remotely smells like gas, if it is plugged up, hello straight pipe

Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:59 PM
Nathan Dean (dxdean3) wrote:ok, me and my father sat down and thought it through, were gonna cut the cat off it tomorow and see if its plugged up, because even though theres black smoke puffing out the exhaust, you can smell anything that remotely smells like gas, if it is plugged up, hello straight pipe

There cars sound awesome with a straight pipe just figured i'd let you know that

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/norcobigfootrider?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/DMI05bq1srM

i probably should have let the engine warm up longer but you get the general idea.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:45 PM
yeah, well i got a good quality "fart can" and a 22" cherrybomb glasspack on the flower, so it should sound pretty good with no cat

Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:33 PM
Adam L wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/norcobigfootrider?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/DMI05bq1srM

i probably should have let the engine warm up longer but you get the general idea.

Sounds like @!#$. Here's mine at idle:

Friday, October 08, 2010 7:39 AM
sounds good, i need to get a video of mine once i get the cat removed and the car running right if that isnt the problem

Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:17 PM
well got the car scanned today, the code for the camshaft position sensor came up, so thats what im changing next, hopfully this fixes it

Monday, October 11, 2010 1:48 PM
dammit! the cam sensor helped, but didnt stop the car from stalling when i push the clutch in to come to a stop, any ideas on that? im going to take a video in a bit to show you guys what i mean

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search