? about starters on my 2.2 OHV - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
? about starters on my 2.2 OHV
Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:02 PM
I tested the starter from my 2.2 OHV motor on the bench, which spun over kinda slow. So i tore the thing apart to check out the brushes, which were down a bit. Called the parts store and was told that they could'nt get the brushes anymore, plus they had asked me if the starter was a direct drive, or a gear reduction type starter, which i had no clue. I do know that i found 3 small gears inside the starter after i got the thing apart, I just curious why one car would need a direct drive starter, and a gear reduction starter is needed for another car. Please advise

Re: ? about starters on my 2.2 OHV
Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:06 PM
it wasn't a question about need. in 98, they swapped from the direct drive, to a gear reduction. just get the gear reduction, they should be the same price, it draws less amps on startup, and has a higher cranking power. they are interchangeable, my 96 now has a gear reduction starter on it, direct bolt in.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:21 PM
So does the gear reduction type spin slower than the direct drive, the one i have seemed to me to be a little week when i gave it some juice.
Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:49 PM
They all should spin right around the same speed. The gear reduction allows everything to be made smaller and lighter and make the same or more torque as a similar direct drive unit. Think of it as a planetary gear set really. I would honestly just get a new or reman starter as it will cost just a bit more to buy one compared to rebuilding your current one along with a warranty.

More than likely the com on the armature is a bit worn and would need trued for proper performance. You also might have a bad winding on the armature that could be causing it to spin slowly(more than likely the culprit to be honest).
Monday, October 11, 2010 2:34 PM
^^ I agree with above posting.

I've seen motors crank full power with the brushes worn down to the nub. We have electric forklifts at work, and this has happened. If it's cranking slow there's probably some other problem than the brushes.

Just get yourself a new starter. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, just get a lifetime warranty one from the parts store. The gear reduction should be about the same speed, but the benefit of the gear reduction is all mentioned above. The fact that it uses less power will help out down the road a little bit once your battery starts getting to the end of it's life.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:53 PM
Thanx guys for all the great help, believe that i'll just get a new one for the new motor, yeah deff planning on keeping the car awhile since i just dropped a grand into the motor, guess its worth a new one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search