Eco Auto to 5speed swap. harness questions. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco Auto to 5speed swap. harness questions.
Monday, October 04, 2010 7:50 PM
Alright I have a 2003 cavalier automatic that im swapping over to a 5 speed i have everything for it for the exception of the interior harness which oddly im having trouble finding, mostly because i dont have time to spend wondering the junkyards on my days off.

but getting to the point. I understand the the park neutral safety switch to start the autos is located on the engine side of the harness and on the manuals its on the interior side of it, attached to the clutch pedal. The thing is im not totally sure that the cross over between the harness to the engine and interior will have the same pinning from a 5 speed to the auto and im not sure what the car will do if for instance i have the 5 speed harness on the engine side and leave the auto interior harness in place.

Now ive read clams on here that people have made that swapped in a 5speed leaving the automatic harness and ecu/pcm and the car magically starts but where does it get the reference in that case? without anything plugged into the auto trans does the ecu/pcm go into a default mode where with a lack of refrence it assumes its in park/neutral?

But my biggest question is what will happen if i leave the interior harness and swap the 5 speed engine harness and ecu/pcm? I understand i will have the theft lock issue and that easily taken care of but besides that will the car start still? Is the pinning the same with the crossover connector? will anything work?

Help with this is greatly appreciated.

Re: Eco Auto to 5speed swap. harness questions.
Friday, October 08, 2010 8:53 AM
Cant give direct advice for an Eco, but I did a 2.4 auto to 5 speed swap...

Just changed over the engine harness & ECU. No interior harness changes.

I do not have a clutch safety switch...

On the 2.4, the harness split right @ the firewall where the large plug is, just changed the engine harness...

Friday, October 08, 2010 9:23 PM
AWESOME! Thank you sir.

Im like %100 If its a 00+ It should be the same.

But regardless the car starts and drives and everything with no problems to report? I mean if it starts that means the ignition/starting kill device for the park neutral saftey swich is attached to the engine harness side of the automatic (like i figured) and on the manual its just a cut off with the clutch safety swich..
Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:55 AM
The automatic has that wiring on the engine side of the harness, because it's connected to the neutral safety start switch on the automatic transmission. The manual has it on the dash wiring harness, because it's on the top of the clutch pedal.

If you don't move the wiring... or swap the harness... you will have no safety. Up to you..

Saturday, October 09, 2010 7:56 PM
Yeah no i like it that way. Thanks again for the info.
Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:54 AM
Well for reference the cross over on the two harnesses was identical. Its works prefect. 00-05 the harnesses are very interchangeable.

I even have back up lights.

It did have the theft lock issue however the typical fix for that did the trick.

No problems to report.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search