Wiper wireing - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wiper wireing
Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:19 PM
At one point in time I stripped my car of all unneeded wired from the headlights to the tag light. Now I am going though it once more and replacing all the factory switches with toggles. I can not figure out the wipes for the life of me. I have tried grounding all wires one by one and supplying 12v to each one. One of the wires makes it sound like it's trying to go but stuck in park. I have found this to be the high speed wire. Now if I supply power to the window washer wire and the high speed wire they will run full speed, like I want. I was wondering if anybody knows how I could get the wipers going full speed with a toggle, just a simple on / off. The wipers parking themselves is not required, and I would also like to eliminate that if it means less wires, and weight of coarse.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Re: Wiper wireing
Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:45 PM
Hmm... interesting idea.

Yellow is constant (fused) power.. black/white is ground. Grey is MUX1, dark green is MUX2, purple is High.

Looking at the schematics, for regular (low) speed you'd have to give it +12 volts on the yellow, gray and dark green (though you may need a resistor on the green.. maybe not.. looks like that controls the delay...).. and ground the black/white. If you want high speed, give the yellow, purple, grey and green (with resistor?) all +12 volts.

I always thought the Park feature was part of the motor... but maybe not, if you have another wire there. I don't on a 2000...

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:37 AM
There are four at the switch. Yellow, purple, green, and grey. If I supply 12v to green and purple they run full speed. I took apart the factory switch and it does have a resistor inside, and what appears to be a diode. If I twist green and purple together and touch 12v to it the wipers activate and stay running full speed. They also don't stop running until you pull them apart. I may take apart the motor control box and see if I can get power strait to the motor, and eliminate some unneeded parts if I can.

I don't know how the wipers on a j-body work, but I know on other wipers the parking feature is just a constant 12v to a wire when they are off.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, October 18, 2010 7:14 PM
Im not sure if just stripping "unnecessary" wires will save that much in weight. Sounds like more work than its worth. Just a thought.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:42 PM
This car is bare. It only has what's required to move, and not get harassed by police.

They are unnecessary. I don't need a low, high, and delay. Just high.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search