red 99 z24 noob what should i do - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
red 99 z24 noob what should i do
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:14 PM
so i have had my cav since my senior year in high school i graduated '09 its stock no work done yet but i plan to start soon just dont know where ima start.....any ideas.....99 z24 auto

Re: red 99 z24 noob what should i do
Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:34 PM
Save the money for college.

Anyways, on another note I'd start on suspension, rear swaybar and a strut tower bar front and rear can make a big difference.
Front strut bar is easy to nab from a convertible cavalier/sunfire at the junkyard.
Motor mounts to increase the throttle response.
Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:55 PM
Richard K wrote:Motor mounts to increase the throttle response.

Motor mounts will have no affect on your throttle response. They will however offer better torque transfer.

But I agree, Save the money for college. If you already have that set or just don't go, then I would start off on handling. Springs, struts, anti-roll bars, strut tower bars, poly bushings, wheels or tires. There are a hundred things you could start on. Just figure out what you want out of it.

Welcome to the .org

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:59 PM
im considering starting with wheels and tires and maybe some springs
Friday, October 29, 2010 5:46 AM
if you do springs, you MUST make sure you have appropriate struts. OEM (and OEM spec) struts DO NOT SURVIVE BEING LOWERED.

Ride quality and handling will suffer.

Also, beware of generic cheapie springs, stick with known brands. Searching here on the .org will point you in good directions.

Eibach is good
Koni makes good dampers and a decent spring/strut package

there are others too. I had Konis. They are $$$ but they are hard to beat.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Friday, October 29, 2010 6:14 AM
sportlines and d-specs. best setup i have used.

Friday, October 29, 2010 2:10 PM
tein super streets, best youll ever buy

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:13 PM
My next setup will be Tein's. No question in my mind.

I gotta move first though, I'm scraping the speedbumps at my place on Sportlines

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:00 PM
ill put all this into thought as i save up some money to purchase then.Im a noob (so criticize me if u want but im trying to learn)but whats the purpose of the struts and strut bar.OEM?d-spec?
Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:59 PM
Strut bar I'd go stock cavalier convertible one...... GM made, and it clears aftermarket hoods and doesn't hit %*^* like some do.
Plus if you can find one at a local junkyard.... it could be cheap. As far as I know all 95+ sunfire/cavalier convertibles came with the front strut bar.

Struts and springs.... better handling..., less nose diving during braking, etc.
If you get lowering springs, the stock struts aren't made for them, and will probably fail, not to mention the ride from what I hear will be bouncy as hell. So just look around (read the suspension FAQ in the suspension and brake section) for some ideas of common combinations. OEM and d-spec are brands.

Sway bars so you don't get thrown into your door when you make a turn only going 15mph...
Monday, February 21, 2011 10:50 PM
i am currently waiting on my lowering springs and struts to arrive.
pro-kits springs and agx struts.
on to wheel and tires

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:09 AM
struts are like a shock. they help obsorbe bumps and wat not while you drive. they work together with the springs. o.e.m means original like it came stock on the car. if you pop your hood you can see a circle shaped hole in either rear corner of the engine compartment under there is wear you struts are and a strut bar connects both those circles for beter handling. you can buy them from companies that make them for the cavalier of get one from the junkyard off of a convertable cavalier. d-spec, agx, tein, koni are strut companies. good luck with you project man, read the faq in the sites library
Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:26 AM
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
KYB AGX Adjustable Struts

Cheapest and great quality drop.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:32 PM
i got the prokits and the agxs and also so rims now i jus got to install them and theirs a slight leak that i gotta get fixed before i continue working on my Z
Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:12 PM
post pics or it never happened.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search