Cluster auto or manual 00+ the same or not(other ?'s too) - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cluster auto or manual 00+ the same or not(other ?'s too)
Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:34 AM
Hey i have tried doing alot of research on this but can not come up with a solid answer.

On 00+ are the clusters the same for auto and manuals? Im switching to a manual. Just need to know if the clusters are different cause of the shifter lights.

Also can an auto interior harness work for a manual? I would assume the only difference would be the nuetral safety switch for the clutch. Can the auto harness be used and if so what needs to be done to make this work? Its very hard to find a manual harness around here.

Also can i use a 4 door harness on a 2 door? 4 doors are more common here

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Cluster auto or manual 00+ the same or not(other ?'s too)
Friday, November 19, 2010 1:41 PM
Nick,

I have a 97, but hopefully some of this stuff applies to you.. I swapped a 5 speed into my auto 2.4.

I am still using an auto cluster.. I did not change any interior harness, just swapped the engine harness from the plug near the brake booster.. No clutch pedal switch...
-----------------

I am currently having an issue where the tach & coolant temp gauge do not work, but Im leaning toward that being a problem with my PCM. I think I may have installed a 2000+ PCM. From what I have heard, the 2000+ have a BCM that controls those 2 gauges..

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:26 PM
I can answer one of the questions. The cluters are the same reguardless of auto or manual. If you have a manual and ur going to put a cluster out of a auto, it will work, bc nothing changed from them. I know just be my buddy has a 02 with a manual, and I had the EXACT same car just auto and everything was same except his shifter and extra pedal. I cant answer as far as the harness goes tho, sorry.

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:51 PM
I'm sure the 4dr harness can be used on a 2dr car. Though, you'll probably have to keep some wiring out of the way, or seal it off due to having a couple extra door switches, window motors, etc.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, November 19, 2010 4:44 PM
if you are switching you cluster IS THE SAME.

harness you will only be switching the dash harness not the body harness so aslong as your dash harness is 00 + then your fine only thing is the HVAC panel is vacuum accuated 00 and older so if your 00 get an 00 harness or if your 01 and newer get an 01 or new harness its not a big deal you just have to run a vacuum line as if you don't get the right one the HVAC accuator wont work

thats the ONLY thing you have to worry about BCM is fine as its a body control other then that engine forward changes

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:07 AM
okay maybe i should of been more clear. Im in the process of doing the eco manual swap(well getting everything). i currently have a 99 2200 sfi auto.

i was just unclear on weather or not the cluster was the same on the auto and manuals. and i figured the harness would work from the 4 door. i would just have extra wiring from the 2 other doors. but is that gonna cause a problem with the bcm?

And i still need a answer for this.
Also can an auto interior harness work for a manual? I would assume the only difference would be the nuetral safety switch for the clutch. Can the auto harness be used and if so what needs to be done to make this work? Its very hard to find a manual harness around here.

thanks guys
Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:21 PM
There are three "big" harnesses in a J-body car... the engine bay, the dash, and the rest of the body. If you want the clutch switch wiring inside the car.. the harness you need to swap is the dash harness. The body harness can stay the same. What's wrong with your existing one that you need to swap it?

I used a 4 door Sunfire harness in my 'vert... and spliced in the convertible-specific stuff. The wires for the door weren't long enough (the 4 door has smaller doors) for the door lock solenoids. I had to lengthen some stuff... and remove a lot of extra stuff (door locks, door pins, power windows, etc..) that wasn't necessary.

Other thing you won't find on a manual harness but is on an auto harness... the light for the shifter assembly (on a 2000-05 model).

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:15 PM
sorry lenko. i was not aware that there was 3 harnesses.

i did not know that there was a seperate dash harness. i thought that the interior harness was all in one
Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:27 AM
Yup... dash and body are separate from each other. The dash harness is the one that goes thru the firewall, to the big C100 plug (that connects to the engine harness). Also connects to the wiper motor, cruise control, washer pump, headlight harness (another harness... but not as big), all your main grounds on the front frame of the car... connects to the body harness at the base of the driver's A-pillar... all those plugs behind the carpet. Two of the plugs on the BCM... the third (the purple one? I think) is from the body harness.

Stuff moved a bit from 02 to 03... the front airbag sensor moved from a separate loom to being part of the headlight harness. Same thing with 99 to 00 with the washer pump. If you can't get stuff all from the same year, you might run into issues trying to mate things together..

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:56 AM
oh if your a 99 then you can use an 00+ dash harness and mate it to the 99 body harness
The following you will have to re-pin
-door ajar switches (drive will be unhooked in the process but if you leave the passenger where it is you will be sending 12V the switch always.
-radio has to be re-pined to an ignition source

C100 is the large plug under the hood like lenko said the one that connects the dash harness to the body is called the C200 harness you will want pin outs and schematics for that harness aswell as the BCM pin outs to make your your pinning the door switches in correctly

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search