Bolt fell down inside timing chain cover - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bolt fell down inside timing chain cover
Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:48 PM
I am replacing my water pump on my 04 cavalier. One of the bolts from the water pump sprocket fell down inside the timing chain cover. Is there a way to get it out without having to pull the cover ? If If I have to pull the cover how to do I get the crank pulley off ?

Re: Bolt fell down inside timing chain cover
Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:00 PM
Removing the cover may be your best bet. Just remove the bolt and the pulley should just slide right off. No puller needed. I think your gonna need a new bolt for the crank but I'm not 100% sure. I think its one of those torque to yield bolts that stretch.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:09 PM
I looked in to it, and it is recommended that you get a new crank bolt.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:24 PM
Go to Sears. One of the most handy tools I have is a little telescoping magnet (kinda looks like a radio antenna, but you can collapse it and put it in a pocket like a pen) You might be able to shove that down in there far enough to successfully get the bolt out. If not, then the thing will probably come in mega handy later in life.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, January 21, 2011 6:39 AM
And if that fails the old magnet on the string trick will work,, thats how we got the razor blade out of my intake manifold that my dad dropped in it.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:43 AM
+1 on the magnet, one of the tools i use most at work I think.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:31 PM
SHOoff wrote:Go to Sears. One of the most handy tools I have is a little telescoping magnet (kinda looks like a radio antenna, but you can collapse it and put it in a pocket like a pen) You might be able to shove that down in there far enough to successfully get the bolt out. If not, then the thing will probably come in mega handy later in life.

I have a couple of those and you can't angle them enough to be able to reach down in there.
Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:39 PM
Leafy wrote:And if that fails the old magnet on the string trick will work,, thats how we got the razor blade out of my intake manifold that my dad dropped in it.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:54 PM
could pull the oil pan too.... but then you have to re seal it...

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:40 AM
Outatime wrote:
SHOoff wrote:Go to Sears. One of the most handy tools I have is a little telescoping magnet (kinda looks like a radio antenna, but you can collapse it and put it in a pocket like a pen) You might be able to shove that down in there far enough to successfully get the bolt out. If not, then the thing will probably come in mega handy later in life.

I have a couple of those and you can't angle them enough to be able to reach down in there.

theyre not super expensive so just bend it
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:39 AM
I bought another one that is bendable and still couldn't get it. I finished the rest of the job and let a local shop get the bolt out. They got it out without having to pull the timing cover. I got some magnetic sockets so next time this doesn't happen.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search