Issue with park/cant turn key off - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Issue with park/cant turn key off
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:20 AM
Having an intermittent problem here. 00 cavalier. once and a while when I put the car in park and shut it off, the key wont go all the way to off so that I can remove it. I have to jam in into park a few times before I can. The button is all the way up as far as I know.
Any ideas? Kind of a pain when in a hurry. Seems to always finally let go once the wife finds her keys in her purse....

Re: Issue with park/cant turn key off
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:47 PM
just have your wife find her keys before you get to where you're going, as this is clearly the issue.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:49 PM
I'm thinking that perhaps there's a cable inside the console that can be adjusted?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:11 PM
Do you have an aftermarket knob? It might be on wrong and pushing the shifter button.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:36 PM
No nothing like that, but the console has been out so I'll check for the shifter cable under there. We'll see.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:32 PM
My buddies sunfire does the same thing. When it happens, just try slapping the shifter forward when its already in park. It works for him. I know its not a fix, but it could help until you find one.
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:42 PM
Take the colum cover off, look for a cable with a blue end on the underside of the column. Unclip it and tuck it away... good bye park interlock =) You can now shift freely without needing to even have the key on.

----

Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:31 AM
I had this problem on my 97 Sunfire. Problem was the cover on the button on the shifter was sliding up and not letting the button release out all the way.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:53 PM
my gfs 99 sunfire does the same thing. the car will start and shut off but ive gotta unhook the neg terminal when we park. would that be the cable mentioned?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search