Moonroof Problems - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Moonroof Problems
Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:28 PM
I have a 99 Sunfire GT with the optional power moonroof. I was driving home yesterday, and when I closed the moonroof, one side closed and the other remained about 3/4 in open. I removed the glass, and tried to see what was jamming the mechanism, but there looks to be nothing there. It still will not close with the glass out. How would I fix this? It isn't moving slowly like the motor is dead, it moves about 1/2 inch, quickly and then stops.

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*

Re: Moonroof Problems
Friday, February 18, 2011 5:43 AM
I had the same problem. Removed the headliner, removed the sunroof motor and manually closed the sunroof by pulling on the cables. Reinstalled the motor with the cables in the proper position and voila, done. One of the cables has just skipped a tooth in the motor.

Friday, February 18, 2011 9:31 PM
Yeah, I took the glass out and greased the rails and closed the moonroof. My motor had skipped on the plastic gear that has the notch in it that shuts off the motor, so it only went 1/8 turn at a time. I picked up the sliding cover for it at the junkyard, and got the new vent cover I needed. Overall, it was a success, but I am thinking about putting in an override switch on the shutoff so if it sticks open again, I can at least get it back closed.

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*
Monday, March 07, 2011 4:33 PM
I am trying to remember but I am sure you can remove the switch and use a allen head socket to close the sunroof by hand using said socket and a rachet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search