Front Brakes slider bolts - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front Brakes slider bolts
Monday, March 14, 2011 12:00 AM
When I do my front brakes I always put slider bolt grease on the slider bolts. However the next time I change the brakes the bolts are bone dry. Has anybody had this problem and what do I need to fix it ?

Re: Front Brakes slider bolts
Monday, March 14, 2011 5:33 AM
Try using some of the ceramic caliper grease for high temp applications, and make sure you gob it on. Whatever lube your currently using may not be withstanding the heat.
And your caliper's aren't sticking right causing excess heat?
You could also try taking off your caliper once in awhile and re-greasing them.

But to be honest, I'm not sure I've ever run into this exact thing. I know when I did my brakes at 80k (factory originals) there was still lube on the bolts, but not much.

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:51 AM
I think my calipers might be sticking. That is another problem that I had but I didn't think they were associated with each other. I'm only geting 20k to 30k out of my brakes. How do I lube the calipers ?
Monday, March 14, 2011 8:04 PM
You may be only getting 20-30k if your using cheap parts. Cheap pads and rotors have a great impact on the life of the brakes.
If your calipers are sticking you have to either replace them or rebuild them, but often the rebuild kits cost more than buying reman calipers.
Sticking calipers can cause excessive heat which would burn up the brake lube quickly, and cause your brake life span to shorten significantly.
How many miles on your j?

Monday, March 14, 2011 11:36 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:You may be only getting 20-30k if your using cheap parts. Cheap pads and rotors have a great impact on the life of the brakes.
If your calipers are sticking you have to either replace them or rebuild them, but often the rebuild kits cost more than buying reman calipers.
Sticking calipers can cause excessive heat which would burn up the brake lube quickly, and cause your brake life span to shorten significantly.
How many miles on your j?

I uprgraded to ceramic pads last time I got them at autozone. My 04 cavalier has 227k on it.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:38 PM
Yikes above 200k and original calipers? Wow. Deffinetly replace those.calipers. They are probably sticking a little.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search