HELP! head gasket or water pump - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! head gasket or water pump
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:21 PM
i have a 2004 cavalier with the gmpp sc kit i have noticed the coolant has been going down (about a liter a every 2 weeks/1200km) the car has 90km on it i have no coolant puddels under the car i did a oil change the other day and noticed the oil is frothy and there is a orange tint to it. the car is not over heating at all it runs at normal temp i was looking for some input or help
Thank you

Re: HELP! head gasket or water pump
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:15 AM
Id say head gasket. Maybe not bad enough to destroy the motor or overheat it yet, but definately not the water pump. The water pumps job is to pump water, the end. All they eventually do is leak. As well your oil should look oily, not questionable like frothy.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:36 AM
CraiGM wrote:Id say head gasket. Maybe not bad enough to destroy the motor or overheat it yet, but definately not the water pump. The water pumps job is to pump water, the end. All they eventually do is leak. As well your oil should look oily, not questionable like frothy.

yeah

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:50 PM
I 3rd head gasket. change them soon although the leak isn't that bad. i wouldn't chance it on waiting to do it
Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:22 PM
Ok thanks for the input but when the water pump gets bad will it leak in to the oil
Friday, November 26, 2010 6:15 AM
brandon mackay wrote:Ok thanks for the input but when the water pump gets bad will it leak in to the oil

no. no it won't.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, November 26, 2010 7:10 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
brandon mackay wrote:Ok thanks for the input but when the water pump gets bad will it leak in to the oil

no. no it won't.

Depends on how it leaks.

Vehicles such as Honda with a timing belt, will if the seal around the pump goes bad will leak onto the belt. It wont show up in the oil since of course a timing belt is lubricated by oil

A vehicle with a timing chain is different story, seal goes bad it will mix the oil because the chain is of course lubed by the oil

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:48 PM
Rob wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

no. no it won't.

Depends on how it leaks.

Vehicles such as Honda with a timing belt, will if the seal around the pump goes bad will leak onto the belt. It wont show up in the oil since of course a timing belt is lubricated by oil

A vehicle with a timing chain is different story, seal goes bad it will mix the oil because the chain is of course lubed by the oil

Wow never thought of that, good point. Pull the plugs, if they have rust on them it is 100% headgasket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:48 PM

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:30 AM
I'm going to assume you made a typo and you don't actually think the timing belt in my honda is lubricated.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:52 PM
I 4th head gasket. The water pump generally leaks outside the timing chain cover.

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*
Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:19 AM
still no over heating it barley looses any coolant now i havent noticed any antifreeze in the oil but i can smell a little bit of it when i run the car for a while

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:25 PM
Your headgasket is probably bad. Like everybody else said. Run a compression test. A bad water pump or timing chain isn't going to let antifreeze into your oil.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Monday, March 21, 2011 2:21 AM
The replies of "the water pump only pumps water" its not that isnt completely true. Depending on your Engine, ie the 2.4 is a gear driven pump. If the bearings fail it will straight leak coolant, if the gaskets fail it will leak oil INTO the coolant. A catastrophic bearing failure will do the same. But like was said pull the plugs and look for rust. this is a big fix, if left too long you can wash out the cylinders or even hydraulic the engine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search