3x00 Swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3x00 Swap
Monday, March 21, 2011 9:26 AM
Im working on making a list and gathering parts to v6 swap a sedan I picked up.

Went to one of our local yards friday to scout around whats available. They were putting out new cars so they will be there a while thankfully.

There was only 1 3400 there that had the heads and intake manifold assembly removed so its of no use to me.

There were plent of Gen3(94-99) 3100s there though. 2 or 3 complete cars that hadnt been touched.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to pull one of those motors for $225 with accessories or go to another yard where they may have the 3400 and pay probably double.

If I did buy the small port 3100 I would probably upgrade the LIM and UIM to the large port 3100/3400 stuff.

Is there anything else I should be concerned with on the Gen3 3100?

Im pretty sure I know how Im going to do the wiring, Im going to try something different that I havent read about being done.

Here are a couple pictures of the motors Im thinking about grabbing.

One is a 95 and the other is a 97, cant remember which is which though.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Thomas

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: 3x00 Swap
Monday, March 21, 2011 3:01 PM
top one is 94-95 and bottom is the newer one.

the small port would need 3400 or 2000 (maybe 2001) 3100 lim, uim, and the heads.

what do you have in mind for the wiring if you dont mind me asking, and also the year of the sedan please. On my car I have two separate harnesses.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, March 21, 2011 3:03 PM
ge tthe 3100 from a grand prix i think the 3100 thats intake looks like a 3400 intake that has no lines i think it makes more power then those 3100 do correct me if i'm wrong

if you gonna do it dont cheap out and settle for something mediocure

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, March 21, 2011 3:04 PM
mediocure works if its free, just ask my small port 3 rd gen haha.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, March 21, 2011 5:13 PM
That's my thought. I'd rather spend a small amount to start for now. Figure out all the wiring and get it running.

Once I get everything figured out, its as simple as buying a 3400 or buying the heads and upper and lower intake.

The sedan is a 99 so no bcm. I do not plan on doing a 00+ wiring swap to use a bcm.
Base model with body color bumpers. no power anything. no cruise or tilt either.
I'd like to keep my wiring thoughts to my self until I try it. it will make the 3x00 swap super simple and allow use of the stock gauges. will require hpt for tuning though so maybe its not for everyone.

what is the size of the stock injectors in a gen3 3100?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:59 AM
60degreev6.com is your friend. They know all kinda info. I think 3100 injectors are 17lbs? Not exactly sure

You could go with that and do a top end swap. It's been done plenty of times. I'm getting ready to take my 3500 heads to get resurfaced so I can put them on. In the near future I may have a set of 3400 heads and LIM ready to go. We'll see.

I'm sure there might be a few issues here and there with what exact parts to go with on the swap (hoses, lines, wiring) but it should be easy enough to figure out, or ask about on here, i'm sure someone's ran across it before.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:07 AM
www.car-part.com go for atleast a 2000+ 3100.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:35 AM
It sounds like you plan to run the v6 on the four cylinder computer... good luck!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:59 AM
If only it could be that easy. The difference in the crank sensors kills that option.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:29 AM
so do the number of injector drivers my friend.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:22 AM
Injectors and coil drivers aren't that big of a deal compared to the crank and cam sensors.

2.2 is what 7x and the 3x00 is like 24x?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:11 PM
the crank is 7 iirc, 6+1. I emphasize the +1

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:41 AM
7x..... 6+1, same thing, just depends on where you're reading it. Best part is that both the 2.2 and the 3x00 have the same sensor. Hell, i'm pretty sure that the 2.4 even uses the same sensor. Really it would come down to the ICM though, since it runs through that.

Injector drivers..... If you used a computer that only had MPFI rather than SFI, it would be easy to pull off. Since those are batch fire (which opens all injectors at the same time) you would only need to worry about having too many injectors on it, which should come out to being ok. The fueling would probably be the biggest thing since a lot would be different between the 2 engines.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:36 AM
u could use a external trigger for a 3500. isnt that 7x im not sure tho.

http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/external-crank-trigger/prod_42.html
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:17 AM
Oedwards wrote:the crank is 7 iirc, 6+1. I emphasize the +1

Isnt there actually 2 crank sensors on the 3.1? One hi res and one lo res?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:25 PM
Not on mine. There is a cam sensor that might be a higher res.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:34 PM
sorry forgot how the new generation of tuners are let do things CHEAP or Free insted of quality of the product

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, March 25, 2011 2:56 AM
Actually... I'm almost curious as to if you could get a 2.2 computer to run a V6.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:18 AM
I'm sure its quite possible.

Ive seen several s10s that have been converted to v8 using the stock computer.

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:35 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They dont have DIS and only have 2 injectors with batch fire to deal with.

Running V6 with 2.2 Pcm is just not worth it. V6 PCM and harness can be had for cheap at wreckers.

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body
Friday, March 25, 2011 11:22 AM
i dont see a 2.2 computer running the 3x00.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search